We'll take that as a complement…. I think :?: :D

Re: Father & Son's touring project -1977 Claud Butler Cavalier

Here we go.... let’s build!!!! :LOL:

Attachments

• 52EEB412-C4B1-4B26-BA55-EFC25A460504.jpeg
    52EEB412-C4B1-4B26-BA55-EFC25A460504.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 661

I think traditional salmon coloured brakes pads would suit it better. But thats me.

PeachyPM":39r7n8do said:

Time starts now!! ;)

Looking brilliant even in bits :)
Jamie

legrandefromage":3rfhwdj7 said:
I think traditional salmon coloured brakes pads would suit it better. But thats me.

May well end up using some salmon Cool stops, :cool: just think they might clash a bit with orange... we’l see... nothing is set in stone.
Like changing the original front brake cable hanger to this more modern one so we don’t cover up the head badge.

Workshop stuff (B.B. & head set) done, time for lunch before bolting in the clean stuff... :)

Attachments

• DDBCB075-32A1-43E9-A7B9-8B97019E282F.jpeg
    DDBCB075-32A1-43E9-A7B9-8B97019E282F.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 650

Looking good. I particularly like the ‘smiley (bike) face’ photo!
I’ll be starting my very own father & son CB restoration project in the near future.
Dad offered me his bike a while ago, but I called in to see home today & suggested we work on it together as a restoration project.
No photo’s yet, other than this grainy soft focus one. And I’m not even sure if it’s the same bike TBH.
He got it new in 1949/50 from Elsegoods in York. He was 12 at the time.
It’s currently on a turbo trainer in his garage, so it still gets regular use.
It had a respray and refurb in the 1970’s. I’ve asked him to have a rummage around the garage and shed to see what bits he’s got. It’s currently running SA 3 speed, but he seems to remember it having a 3 or 4 speed block & a derailleur.
I’ll start a proper build thread in due course.

Attachments

• E28E3CD8-3D42-48FF-9BC7-EA1FE14A6928.jpeg
    E28E3CD8-3D42-48FF-9BC7-EA1FE14A6928.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 637

DKimberley":1xvf3j5v said:
Looking good. I particularly like the ‘smiley (bike) face’ photo!
I’ll be starting my very own father & son CB restoration project in the near future.
Dad offered me his bike a while ago, but I called in to see home today & suggested we work on it together as a restoration project.
No photo’s yet, other than this grainy soft focus one. And I’m not even sure if it’s the same bike TBH.
He got it new in 1949/50 from Elsegoods in York. He was 12 at the time.
It’s currently on a turbo trainer in his garage, so it still gets regular use.
It had a respray and refurb in the 1970’s. I’ve asked him to have a rummage around the garage and shed to see what bits he’s got. It’s currently running SA 3 speed, but he seems to remember it having a 3 or 4 speed block & a derailleur.
I’ll start a proper build thread in due course.
Great stuff, I'll keep an eye out for the thread.

Talking of Elsegood, I wonder when the shop closed, eighties maybe?
This Claud had the remnants of a York bike shop sticker, but other than the word York and a partial address there was nothing discernible..

Attachments

• Elsegood of York.JPG
    Elsegood of York.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 634

Problems slowing us down so far;

1. New Dia-Compe head set needs about 4mm less thread/steerer than the one it replaced, so the choice was either add another locking nut or replace the thin cable hanger with a wider aluminium more modern version, the latter has the benefit of looking a little less odd (than two nuts) and not blocking the CB head badge.
2. The seat post wouldn’t fit as the clamp had been closed too much, this was easily opened but now the bolt wouldn’t go through without some fettling…then we realised the NOS rear hanger with adjuster that I had put aside for this was just way too wide, so that got swapped out for a simpler Mavic
3. Last problem for the day was the length of the bottom bracket, I know we needed something a bit longer than what had come with the bike, as that had been matched with a MTB 3 ring shimano crank set, so I thought swapping the 125mm with a 130mm. But no, it needs a 134mm, a quick click and ones on its way.. touch and go if it arrives before the end of the month.

Jim says, “why is everything soooo hard?” I said it wouldn’t be fun if it weren’t… not sure he believed me.

Attachments

• 1977 Claud Butler Cavalier.jpeg
    1977 Claud Butler Cavalier.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 633

Jamiedyer":xa0yav8y said:
PeachyPM":xa0yav8y said:

Time starts now!! ;)

Looking brilliant even in bits :)
Jamie

Cheers Jamie,
He should have it finished bar the chain set tomorrow (because of the BB axle) bit gutted as we were planning a test ride in the afternoon. :facepalm:

Back