1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur #9081 (Entente cordiale)

Jamiedyer":37jfe8t1 said:
Looking forward to seeing this one progress as well.
I do agree that the Belgium scheme whilst sounding good, just doesn't come together due to the black. The French scheme sounds like a great choice and sounds like it should really stand out.
Another week until the next themed RBotM , you've got a head start already :)

Jamie

Don't tempt me... the last one was too stressful, :cry: if it gets done, it gets done. If I miss out, there’s always next year.

Anyway.. right now I'm getting to understand THM's infatuation with splashing colour about....it’s very therapeutic on such a hot evening. :cool:

Attachments

• SuperAllvit.jpeg
    SuperAllvit.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 600
I've been looking for a French freewheel ...obviously, but all the 60's stuff I had found so far have the French thread (1.366" x 25.4TPI), not good on either British/ISO/or Italian 24TPI. So I had a scan of French freewheels on Velobase, looking for an ISO one from the 70's.
I've never really looked at French units before, only checking to see if a freewheel is a Regina or not, if not, they’ve gone in the "mucky box". But as I scanned the Maillard cogs I started to recognise various details of the Maillard Normandy freewheels. They have the "Made in France" stamped on the 5th gear/cog as there is no face of the freewheel to mount it on. I'd not spotted this before as my "mucky box" stuff has not been cleaned... so I rushed out to the workshop and after a quick scrap of some muck, hey presto the magic tome "Maillard - Made in France" and on the reverse 1.375x24tpi ISO...

Danseur!

Attachments

• 1.375x24tpi ISO.jpeg
    1.375x24tpi ISO.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 592
  • Maillard.jpeg
    Maillard.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 592
So tonight, I was mainly colouring in….. :LOL:

Attachments

• Huret 700.jpeg
    Huret 700.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 572
  • PHILIPPE stamp.jpeg
    PHILIPPE stamp.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 572
  • Philippe Mil Remo.jpeg
    Philippe Mil Remo.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 572
Re:

The painted parts are looking really smart!

What paints are you using? The red looks like a standard Humbrol type enamel but the blue has a metallic look to it.

Re: Re:

skylark":xffhi1zm said:

What paints are you using? The red looks like a standard Humbrol type enamel but the blue has a metallic look to it.

Both old school Humbrol enamel, not the modern water based low voc acrylic rubbish.
The red is a solid colour to cover aluminium and is a good match for what was originally on the stem. But for the chrome I have used a Humbrol Clear colour or I think it was called "glass paint” (basically a coloured lacquer) I'll add the reference number later.
I find this always looks great on top of chrome. I tried a red, but it was too cherry like and as the only chrome I wanted to use it on was the cranks I thought I could get away with the solid red rather than having two types.

PeachyPM":1456cg15 said:
skylark":1456cg15 said:

Both old school Humbrol enamel, not the modern water based low voc acrylic rubbish.
The red is a solid colour to cover aluminium and is a good match for what was originally on the stem. But for the chrome I have used a Humbrol Clear colour or I think it was called "glass paint” (basically a coloured lacquer) I'll add the reference number later.
I find this always looks great on top of chrome. I tried a red, but it was too cherry like and as the only chrome I wanted to use it on was the cranks I thought I could get away with the solid red rather than having two types.

I can see this looking very pretty when it's finished.

Did I read the original spec right that the frame will be white? If so why don't you line the lug edges alternately on either side with red and blue?

allenh":q2d8uy1o said:
PeachyPM":q2d8uy1o said:
skylark":q2d8uy1o said:

I can see this looking very pretty when it's finished.

Did I read the original spec right that the frame will be white? If so why don't you line the lug edges alternately on either side with red and blue?

Shushhhhhhh! I need to leave some surprises for the reveal... :facepalm:

PeachyPM":2ak4fvz0 said:

Oops consider me eyes and ears open, mouth shut now. :oops:

allenh":2d7w9uag said:
PeachyPM":2d7w9uag said:

Oops consider me eyes and ears open, mouth shut now. :oops:

No, only joking.
My plan is not exactly as per catalogue, so I might turn off some purists...soz
But I'm doing the top lugs (seat & top head) with blue lining, bottom lugs (BB & bottom head) in red lining, as the tricolour paint panels on the seat tube and the head tube go all the way to the lugs. This isn't quite how it would have been done, but I sketched up a render & I like it...... :p

skylark":rq68x3z8 said:

My mistake, its not Humbrol but Revell colour 752

The guys at e-models have a very good range https://www.emodels.co.uk/paints

Attachments

• file1-29.jpeg
    file1-29.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 529
Back