1948 Holdsworth La Quelda, Bill Hurlow stamped, completely original :)

No problem, Hiduminium is funny stuff, light, strong and good at high temperatures but also prone to deep granular corrosion after use in hostile environments. Your brake calipers probably show some of it, I've polished quite a few sets of those and you can end up chasing the pitting well below the surface like minuscule wormholes, it's probably due to the iron content in the material composition.
Your GB stem will probably be Hiduminium as well but there's few more of those about than the Reynolds ones.
Keep up the good work you're doing on the Holdsworth, I'm following it with interest! Your rims are Dunlop LA, nice! and getting difficult to get hold of.

Regards
Tony

Ah, cheers Tony.
The brakes are in good shape, but they’re a bit easier to come by than posts and stems lol
The seatpost is definitely Hiduminium but that’s going to have to die :( but I’ve brought a steel Reynolds one to replace it once the thing has gone.
Then on to rebuild the lovely rims.
Btw if you come across a set of hubs (32 / 40 hole high-flange Baylis or Milremo) of the right period I’d be interested, I think mine might not survive the strip down.

Regarding finding some period hubs, you might find some at a local (to you) bike jumble, Airlites seem to be the most common but most tend to have rusty barrels to a greater or lesser extent - depends what your budget is and deciding what condition will best suit the bike.
There's usually some on ebay.
I tend to match components to the condition of the paintwork - but I must admit that I do like to polish up the alloy bits whilst they're stripped down then I leave them to naturally dull off and just give them a clean and wipe over now and again.

Back