rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Feeling a bit excited.... :shock:
I have spied a proper Claud with bi-lams on ebay and was particularly interested as the seller stated it was 24’5” which I can tell you is a rare size in old Clauds…
First I thought it might be a Sport Anglais, but if the number had been read correctly it was definitely a Feb 1948….. but something was bugging me, apart from that being a very early frame build date for a model not sold till the next year, but some of the kit didn’t match up…. this was when I started hoping beyond hope it might just be one of the extra ordinarily rare 1947-48 first type of Avant Coureur, its got the head tube, the continental drop-out without mudguard eyes and the all important fluted seat stay tops….. ;)
Now I’ve just got to sweat it out praying the courier doesn’t damage it!!!! :| Claud Butler Avant Coureur (3).jpg Claud Butler Avant Coureur (2).jpg Claud Butler Avant Coureur (1).jpg Claud Butler Avant Coureur (4).jpg 1947ClaudButlerAvant.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1948 Claud Butler Avant Coureur #82395

So when will we know?

Neighbours have asked.

When it arrives and I can have a proper look see

Goldie":xbrwe6b6 said:
Oh yes!

When is it turning up?

Seller gets back from a long weekend in Cornwall late Monday. Don't suppose I'll see it till Friday.

Peachy!":1u0ja6kb said:
Goldie":1u0ja6kb said:
Oh yes!

When is it turning up?

Seller gets back from a long weekend in Cornwall late Monday. Don't suppose I'll see it till Friday.

Friday!!!
Doesn't he know there are impatient people waiting on this ;)

Great find regardless of model but I am sure if anyone knows a Claud then it is yourself, and so I am sure it will be the greatest of finds once confirmed. :)
It's a very good survivor and looks a pretty good base to start from. Everything looks serviceable.
What would be the plan for it? or does that depend on confirming what it is first?

Jamie

Jamiedyer":3alq71ll said:
Peachy!":3alq71ll said:
Goldie":3alq71ll said:
Oh yes!

When is it turning up?

Friday!!!
Doesn't he know there are impatient people waiting on this ;)

Great find regardless of model but I am sure if anyone knows a Claud then it is yourself, and so I am sure it will be the greatest of finds once confirmed. :)
It's a very good survivor and looks a pretty good base to start from. Everything looks serviceable.
What would be the plan for it? or does that depend on confirming what it is first?

Jamie

Well.....I'm all for preserving history...but. this will be the only original Claud that really fits my 34" inside leg. So, I'm going to want to ride it. A lot of the running gear is not original although near period, so I won’t be too precious about that.

If it is what I think it is I do have some very very fine period kit sitting waiting in wrapped in oil rags for something just like this.
So, I think it’s going to have to be nothing less than a very top end full restoration.
Re-chromed, then this one will definitely be re-sprayed by the only sprayer I can trust to do exactly what I want (me)
I will also look at making the decals as water slides not vinyl.

Kit list will include
1949 Clement Albione 27” rims
1950 Cinelli #1 stem
Probably a Simplex rear derailleur, with 4 speed freewheel
A set of British Hubs Airlite
Birmalux seat post
Brooks Swallow saddle
Chatter lea cranks & pedals

You get the idea…… :cool:

Sounds good :)
Will be checking each evening to see if the postie has been :)

Jamie

I looked at the pics and I smiled at all the patina (rot, scratches and rust) - knowing that like me you’d sweep it all away and take it back to the bike it once was, or as close as possible to what went out the bike shop door when new on day one.

Retro Spud":2culbc0a said:
I looked at the pics and I smiled at all the patina (rot, scratches and rust) - knowing that like me you’d sweep it all away and take it back to the bike it once was, or as close as possible to what went out the bike shop door when new on day one.

Absolutely Nick... This frame was absolutely top draw back in its day and deserves to shine again... letting it slowly rot from the inside under a “protective clear coat” is not my Darjeeling darling.. :cool:

Latest posts

Back