11 speed on a 26 er, anyone done it and any problems?

Lostcause

Retro Guru
I’ve put an xt 11 speed on my 1998 Kona Hahanna. It all works perfectly but the mech does look quite vulnerable way down there. I know it’s more of a risk the bigger the rocks, I just wondered if anyone had tried it and reverted back?
Mine does have a gs cage so maybe there’s a shorter option? It’s hilarious at climbs now though lol

I ran 11 speed on my 26er Anthem for a few years and didnt have any problems but I was conscious of it being more vulnerable to strikes.In the end I converted it back to 9 speed XT using a Sunrace 11-40 and single chainring,it will climb anything and shifting is 100%.

Last edited:
I ran 11 speed on my 26er Anthem for a few years and didnt have any problems but I was conscious of it being a bit lower and more vulnerable to strikes.In the end I converted it back to 9 speed XT using a Sunrace 11-40 and single chainring,it will climb anything and shifting is 100%.
Thanks, that’s reassuring. I’m glad you didn’t say don’t do it lol

My lads bike is 26" with 11 speed, his spatial awareness on the bike when it comes to rocks, etc. isn't 100%, yet we've not had any issues with the mech. Yet! He's had the bike 2/3years

My lads bike is 26" with 11 speed, his spatial awareness on the bike when it comes to rocks, etc. isn't 100%, yet we've not had any issues with the mech. Yet! He's had the bike 2/3years
It’s beginning to sound like I’m worrying over nothing but it did look quite vulnerable!

I had a cuppa and then a quick look and realised I had forgotten to correctly adjust the B screw. It moved the mech quite a distance and I’m much happier about it now. Changes gear even better too, who’d have thunked it lol Seems my stupidity knows no bounds!

Back