XT thumbshifter renovation - best paint to use?

JCS

Kona Fan
Hi all - does anyone have recommendations on paint to use for the thumbshifter brackets?
Also is it best to use sanding paper and then primer to prep the surface before paint?
Thanks in advance for any tips.
IMG_6722.jpeg

I've previously just rubbed them down with course wire wool and in layers gone over them with matt black rattle cans. Came up lovely

Reactions: JCS
paint isn't really the right way to do it. they were anodised originally. you can do it at home but it's a ball ache. paint will rub off eventually and they will look shocking. a black permanent marker and colour in the wear the years haven't been kind is a better option, will last as long as paint be keep them looking fresh in the most part.

I did a pair a few years ago and they are still looking good…. Use an etch or special metals primer beforehand with the bodies being aluminium (light key the surface beforehand) then apply a satin black finish. To get a textured surface finish once you’ve applied a couple of light coats then spray a ‘mist’ further away from the bodies and let it fall so that the droplets end up leaving a textured finish similar to the original finish.
Long winded but worth it you take your time👍 I used Hammerite special metals primer and Smoothrite satin black for the finish 👍
Hope this helps 😊

I use Halfords/that other brand I can’t remember the name of stuff. I use primer once I’ve sanded down most of it then I use Halfords artfx paint as that already has a textured sort of finish. I did this on a frame not on the brackets though.

I always thought the texture paint u get would be good for doing this,used to redo engine head covers in red,would think in blk it would look good on the bracket section.

Back