Raleigh maverick circa 1985 brake studs & bottom bracket.

naanadrama

Retro Newbie
I've been thinking of upgrading the v brakes to something more robust as the last owner changed from cantis to some cheap and nasty v brakes. However the canti bosses have studs inserted into them and I am scratching my head about how to remove them? As im guessing deore or xt level v brake bolts screw into the boss directly. Any tips?
Also can anyone advise what bottom bracket tools I need for removing the bottom bracket?
I am only used to dealing with hollowtech so abit of a novice where the older bottom brackets are concerned.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230723_193609.jpg
    20230723_193609.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230723_193808.jpg
    20230723_193808.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230723_193820.jpg
    20230723_193820.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 28
If i remember rightly,the cantilever boses were threaded at the ends,and the cantilevers themselves were held on with nuts,as far as the bb,a big wrench on the flats for the drive side,sure its a left handed thread but check,clockwise to untighten,for the other side you can get a c ring spanner to undo the locknut,if this fails tap the lockring with a screwdriver,anticlockwise to untighten

If i remember rightly,the cantilever boses were threaded at the ends,and the cantilevers themselves were held on with nuts,as far as the bb,a big wrench on the flats for the drive side,sure its a left handed thread but check,clockwise to untighten,for the other side you can get a c ring spanner to undo the locknut,if this fails tap the lockring with a screwdriver,anticlockwise to untighten
Yes that's right they have dome head nuts on. Will newer v brakes be okay to be held on in the same way?

Dont honestly know about that,there may be some combination,maybe use originals with better pads,or even touring bike cantilevers of the same period

BB. As above really. Big spanner to I do the cups via the flat edge, lock ring tool or flat blade screwdriver and hammer to remove the lock ring.

Brake boss wise, are they welded to the frame? Usually, though not always, these are threaded on to the frame. Can yo see any evidence of this from the rear?

The bosses are definitely welded to the frame and forks but so not sure if the threaded insert is all part of the boss assembly or thread locked into the boss itself.

I have a feeling they may be part of the boss...but there is no good reason why you cant hold the new cantilevers on with a nut....might need a washer too....

To retain the period look , the original brakes were Dia Compe Cantilevers with external springs

I believe them to be Dia Compe 980 GC , though I can't quite reach my own bike to confirm

Latest posts

Back