XT M732 Plastic Cover Query

beadlesabout

Dirt Disciple
All M732 thumbies show a few tiny bubbles and edge delamination on the plastic cover.

Is this actually delamination, or are there sticky plastic protectors from the factory that are meant to be peeled off?

I don’t want to pick at mine unless it’s the latter.

Example below:
IMG_1585.jpeg

They are not meant to peel.
In bad cases I have successfully peeled them and replaced them with a car wrap type of protective wrap.
In even worse cases I glued a coca-cola or beercap on top of the XT-cap.
And lastly, as a last resort, I made new Aluminium covers on my lathe.

Pics for inspiration:

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you know if the text and markers are on or under the clear cap? Mine need a light buffing but I don’t want to buff the text and markers off.

The covering is not supposed to come off. The reason they were put on is because the printed finish under it is very fragile. 1 or 2 rubs and you will be through the finish and they will look terrible.

Like its been said above, i too have had great success using paint protection film and just cutting a couple of circles out to replace the original.

Do it soon, or you will be crying when a really nice set gets buggered!

Whilst I'm sure that's true, it's obviously the kind of plastic film that's meant to be removed and is common on glossy plastic products.

I'll definitely look into the paint film though as a long term protection, thanks.

Whilst I'm sure that's true, it's obviously the kind of plastic film that's meant to be removed and is common on glossy plastic products.

I'll definitely look into the paint film though as a long term protection, thanks.
The film is part of the manufacturers process protection. These shifter faces would of been printed in sheet form ie multiples on one sheet of material and then laminated with a poly plastic film. The shifter faces would then of been blanked out on a press or platen cut machine so the film is there to stop any marks occurring from the press tool contact. Its a standard practice in most print and press manufacturers. Whether you leave it on is entirely up to you, but like yours it will eventually lift.

It says nothing in the instructions for an m732 shifter about peeling the film off, and, surely they would have had a tab or at least an unstuck edge were you supposed to.

Until these shifters age you can't even see its not one bit.

As for eventually lifting...yes they have.....35 years after production in 1989...which kind makes me belive its not really supposed to be removed either.

As i said above, that printed aluminium surface is incredibly delicate....it won't survive a weeks dirt, let alone a proper mud bath and scrub up.

If anybody wants some paint protection film for these, ive got loads and will happily post you a little square for postage cost ( if you dont want to go to ebay)...to help save a nice pair of shifters for the future.

Plus the stuff os ideal to stop cable rub too.

Back