WTD- non disc brake mountain bike. South West

parma_ham

Dirt Disciple
Hello there,

I'm new and was recommended that this site may be the place to find the sort of mountain bike I'm looking for. It needs to have/be

> A-head set
> xc/all rounder type bike- not jump/downhill
> Rigid or hardtail. Definately not full sus. Fully rigid probably preferred
> Be lightweightish (given the year and my budget)
> Have v brakes- I will not consider discs of any sort
> 21+ gears. Probably 24/27.
> Not be a project- I've got enough of those. All the gears need to work, wheels to be true, bb not grumbling etc etc
> I'm 5'7" so frame size should be what, 16/17" ? It's been so long since I bought a mtb
>LX + groupset or that sort of level bike

Basically I need to cycle to uni, and a good mile of this journey is on rutted and sometimes muddy farm tracks. My fixie is not loving it. If I can use the new bike for getting me to the pub and back as well as xc rides back home in the summer, even better.

Budget is probably £300 max which is probably about right for what I'm after, no? You know the sort of thing- circa 2001 Kona/GT that would have cost £700-£1,000ish back in the day. If something just needs a new saddle etc or alternatively fits my description exactly but is £350, then talk to me. You probably get an idea of just the sort of thing I am after. If you require any further info do let me know. I am based in Dorset (family home) and Glocs (uni) but don't mind travelling into neighbouring counties for the right sort bike.

I won't be on here often and don't know if notifications are sent by email about private messages receieved here. If that's not the case, perhaps email may be the best way of contacting me: benji_richardson at hotmail dot com .

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this and I hope someone can help!

Cheers

Ben

specialized hadrock

Alright mate. Still after a bike? £100 plus postage gets some rockshox forks, specialized frame, aheadset, decent strongarm cranks, tioga tyres. Does need a seatpost and gears are a bit basic but way under your budget so you could just order new if you really didn't like.
Cheers
Kevin

I bought a a kona from a member on here yesterday- xt/deore etc and all ready to go. Thank you for the offer though but I did't really want a project anyway and was happy to spend a little more.

Cheers. Seems like an excellent forum btw.

Ben

Back