WTB Phoenix SE - blacky is ready for the OW

I’ve been looking at the photos of this build for days now and while the frame and parts are in their own right very beautiful I’m not sure the finished product comes together with complete harmony either.

For me those Syncros cranks just don’t look quite right with the rest of the build. They just remind me of the horrid polished bling normally found on a rapper’s Hummer. They also don’t work with the Raceface stem – in my mind Raceface and Syncros never go together.

I’m thinking an early Raceface crank in a dark colour or polished or maybe something a little different like a Sweetwings crank may be a better fit aesthetically.

race face heatreated 4130 stem

I found this stem in old bikestore but it seems incomplete.
why has the clamping nut (yours is silver mine is red) 2 threads, one big and one thinner? Is it compatible with 1 1/8" ahead systems?

questions questions
please inform me, I just so wanna HAVE!

Tnx and greetings David

andrewl":egzxonxn said:
For me those Syncros cranks just don’t look quite right with the rest of the build. They just remind me of the horrid polished bling normally found on a rapper’s Hummer. They also don’t work with the Raceface stem – in my mind Raceface and Syncros never go together.

I disagree. In my opinion, Race Face and Syncros always go together. Syncros for the bits that they made well, the post and stem, and Race Face for the parts that Syncros was questionable for, but for which Race Face was well respected, cranks!

Either way though, I wouldn't put Syncros or Race Face on the WTB. (ok, maybe a set of grey Turbines? maybe? ;) ) And I surely wouldn't put a chubby Syncros stem on such a fine steel frame.

Moot point all of that though, as the overall look of this WTB is wonderful, and the conversation about which bits and bobs belong on it is not too imortant at all in the grand scheme of things. Nice bike! :cool:

I could imagine going with a pair pewter/graphite Turbines, if I had them readily available. The stem I also have the Ti variation of. More light and super expensive back in the day, but Ti (polished) in colour.

@singelspeedy
On the EX: It uses 1x threading in what you call 'clamp bit'. The other ridges are no thread. The clamp bit is an adjustment ring actually. The clamp feature is to lock the adjustment ring. The clamping of the stem you do with the hard ware that sit inside and that you tighten with the bolt on top. The stem is intended for 1-1/8 steerer. There exist clamping hardware for al and steel steerer. I would not hesitate to use the EX icw steerer hardware and extra shim on 1" steel steerer however.

Back