WTB Phoenix SE - blacky is ready for the OW

The Brooks rate over any other foam padded seat in class. Hence it is there. With the Swift Ti they even made an attempt on weight saving. It is still not light however. It is not a pure performance seat, but I do not perceive a WTB as a pure performance bike. Of course it can be raced hard, but it is a ride for the skilled purist enjoying quality leisure time in the 1st place. Sensible, but ready to go fast whenever you want.

"Melvyn's Ti-Max": I owned a black T-Max already lightyears ago, but I never owned a TiMax. I doubt they are the same bike.

I am not familiar with the particular Ideale saddle you're mentioning, but of the Lepper Voyager I know I would not take it off road.

Elev12k":1ez5z6lw said:
The Brooks rate over any other foam padded seat in class. Hence it is there.
Well, yes. But another aspect of class is understanding the correct tool for the job. A crystal goblet may outclass a stoneware mug, but that doesn't mean it's classy to drink sweet milky tea from crystal.

That's just my opinion, and it may simply be that I don't understand your idea of the WTB as a Bugatti. But I've always found the Swift one of Brooks' least attractive saddles, and the Phoenix one of the most desirable bikes.

"Melvyn's Ti-Max": I owned a black T-Max already lightyears ago, but I never owned a TiMax. I doubt they are the same bike.
My apologies. I meant to write Bas's Ti-Max.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss21 ... C06538.jpg

I am not familiar with the particular Ideale saddle you're mentioning, but of the Lepper Voyager I know I would not take it off road.
I doubt you'll find your Swift any more durable, if that's your concern. It may be more comfortable, but of course these things are personal.

one-eyed_jim":3dpg6jv2 said:
Elev12k":3dpg6jv2 said:
The Brooks rate over any other foam padded seat in class. Hence it is there.
Well, yes. But another aspect of class is understanding the correct tool for the job. A crystal goblet may outclass a stoneware mug, but that doesn't mean it's classy to drink sweet milky tea from crystal.

That's just my opinion, and it may simply be that I don't understand your idea of the WTB as a Bugatti. But I've always found the Swift one of Brooks' least attractive saddles, and the Phoenix one of the most desirable bikes.

My apologies. I meant to write Bas's Ti-Max.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss21 ... C06538.jpg

I doubt you'll find your Swift any more durable, if that's your concern. It may be more comfortable, but of course these things are personal.

Hi Jim,

Stand for it: Of course share your opinion. Your opinion is much appreciated. You don't like the Brooks in the equation so much. Simple is that. Preferences differ. However I do not see how you see sweet milky tea in my WTB. I always thought this was more like sweet milky tea >>

4858566660_0361a5c5a4_b.jpg

For as far I know the Lepper Voyager was considered - I hate to say this being Dutch :oops: - highly fragile. I am not familiar with that such applies to the Swift.

Elev12k":1q3t9yx4 said:
Stand for it: Of course share your opinion. Your opinion is much appreciated. You don't like the Brooks in the equation so much. Simple is that. Preferences differ. However I do not see how you see sweet milky tea in my WTB.
After I wrote it I realised it wasn't the ideal metaphor, but it carries some of the meaning I meant to convey about class being not so much inherent in the object, but also dependent on its appropriate use. One of the wonderful things about the Phoenix is that every aspect of it is thought out in a very individual way with function in mind. The Race Face stem is a good match with that functional ideal, but I don't think the saddle gels. It's too ostentatious.

Anyway, I've said my piece. It's still a lovely bike. I just think I need to get one of my own and show you all how it should be done!

For as far I know the Lepper Voyager was considered - I hate to say this being Dutch :oops: - highly fragile. I am not familiar with that such applies to the Swift.
I put a lot of miles on a couple of Voyagers and they stood up well. I have heard of problems with the carriage cracking, but I've also seen a Swift with broken rails. Anyway, your bike, your choice. The Idéale 134 would be anachronistic as well, but it's French...

This really is a special bike and the photos don't do it justice; going all flowery, the paint seems to have an almost tangible depth to it (I've seen similar on a glossy early 90s Klein Quantum).

Class restoration, Mel, not dissimilar to your also black Zieleman Type Special. The way that the seattube on the Phoenix subtly tapers at the clamp is particularly sweet - the post almost appears to be grown organically from the seattube.

I really hope that there is a nicer bike at OWMTBC10 - now that would be something!

one-eyed_jim":2r8xxg1k said:
it carries some of the meaning I meant to convey about class being not so much inherent in the object, but also dependent on its appropriate use. One of the wonderful things about the Phoenix is that every aspect of it is thought out in a very individual way with function in mind. The Race Face stem is a good match with that functional ideal, but I don't think the saddle gels. It's too ostentatious.

well stated, but I would apply it to my view on the Syncros crank ;)

great conversation going on in this thread; I'd love it if my reader's rides threads would draw this type of discussion :D

Back