WTB Phoenix SE - blacky is ready for the OW

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not have the Record OR laying around, but I do have the Icarus crankset. Almost identical, but without the hidden bolt and with proper steel inner rings (actually a kind of cassette) instead of aluminum. However I would have to drop the WTB Grease Guard bottom bracket, due to different taper. Morever it would be a Campag crankset, while everything else -if not WTB- is Suntour. I do consider that an inferior solution.

I make a lot use of donors. For example the Syncros cranks came from a YETI Pro FRO (imo on that bike they really were out place) and the XC Pro from a S-Works M2. Frames I sometimes keep or they move on, due to their dimensions. Letting them go is also good to emotionally close the chapter for myself: They will not going to be a project for me, but another will enjoy.

Besides the original spec parts and the ex donor parts, the WTB build consists of several NOS job lot parts, like for example the RF stem, Swift seat and Mythos tires. The custom bend Groovy bar is a major part that I specificly acquired for this build. It is a great bar and Rody even made ti shims for it :)

You have a point about the mixing of kit with the campy crankset; there's just enough mixing of kit, that I didn't think it would be such a bad solution to give it that "bugattiesque" type of finish.

A polished set of Suntour XC Pro cranks would be awesome, if you wanted to keep uniformity in the kit. There is just something about that Syncros crank that isn't Bugatti.

Please don't be offended by any of this, as I've found some can be regarding discussion of their builds. I just like to do it, as it makes me think, regarding my builds and others.

I've been gathering parts for my Phoenix Ti build, as I didn't have anything lying around that I considered worthy of it. That said, it will probably still not be a worthy kit in some peoples' eyes, just because financially I couldn't swing certain parts, or didn't have the luck or connections to land others. Plus my frame has standard brake bosses, so no WTB roller/toggle cam goodness :(

your build is awesome and vey tasteful; I'm just engaging in discussion on it, to see what's out there, and why other people pick the parts they pick.

I can't wait to be at the OW :)

Thank you very much for the kind words all. Very encouraging in my quest whether or not to start another project. I didn't mess up this one, so who knows.

GE MTB, I am not offended. Your thoughts are appreciated.

With Record OR you have to fool in around getting the right length Campy bb (since the taper is different). I would go with XC Pro. I am working on my steel Phoenix and am leaning to the unloved XT M737 crank.

OT - anyone know why that Record OR crank and wheelset went so cheap recently. Not complaining, but just curious.

Elev12k":d9jnkygr said:
I can't wait to be at the OW :)

Thank you very much for the kind words all. Very encouraging in my quest whether or not to start another project. I didn't mess up this one, so who knows.

GE MTB, I am not offended. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cool :cool:

This thread has given me some extra incentive to get mine going already, thanks.

bushpig":d9jnkygr said:
With Record OR you have to fool in around getting the right length Campy bb (since the taper is different). I would go with XC Pro. I am working on my steel Phoenix and am leaning to the unloved XT M737 crank.

OT - anyone know why that Record OR crank and wheelset went so cheap recently. Not complaining, but just curious.

I agree, the M737 is an underrated/underloved crank, especially when mated with a nice ring set. It deserves a bit more affection. But after 91, all XT would only be second fiddle to xtr; (m730 crankset > m900 crankset)

Ebay is a strange place is all I can say. I can't count the number of times I've not gone in on an auction because I figure it will go high, just to see it go for relative pennies. Then when I'm all in, it goes through the roof. I've concluded there are a few people that don't like me, and seem to know when I'm bidding :?

as usual Elev12k is at the top with his tasteful choices ;)

can't say anything about bugatti in the back of its mind - the epitome of french prewar technique and style ( even if Ettore was not an innovator in the technical sense)

bravo :cool: :cool: :cool:

A very lovely bike - I'd love to own a Phoenix one day. I do agree about the cranks though, and I think the Brooks Swift is also very out of place, visually and functionally; and it's anachronistic.

Needs toeclips, of course.

bushpig":r0j5gdfh said:
With Record OR you have to fool in around getting the right length Campy bb (since the taper is different).
One nice thing about Campag cranks from this period is that they all (road and mountain) use the same 111mm bottom bracket axle, so there's no guesswork involved.

Got a link?

one-eyed_jim":1xhgg7o8 said:
A very lovely bike - I'd love to own a Phoenix one day. I do agree about the cranks though, and I think the Brooks Swift is also very out of place, visually and functionally; and it's anachronistic.

I love Brooks saddles, and something about it works with this build, perhaps the classic T2 fork. But I agree it's anachronistic for this vintage. What saddle would you suggest in its place?

GoldenEraMTB":1o1285wo said:
I love Brooks saddles, and something about it works with this build, perhaps the classic T2 fork. But I agree it's anachronistic for this vintage. What saddle would you suggest in its place?
With that length of seatpost, it'd need to be something fairly svelte. Maybe a San Marco Rolls, or even the ubiquitous Flite. An older WTB SST Ti wouldn't be out of place either - WTB saddles always seem to suit Phoenixes.

I've got nothing against Brooks per se - for a long time I wouldn't ride anything but a Team Pro - but a bike derives a lot of its visual character from its saddle, and somehow a Swift on a mountain bike seems to say "this bike is an ornament". I thought that about Melvyn's Ti-Max as well. This is a purposeful bike, and needs a purposeful saddle.

If it has to be leather, a 531-railed Lepper Voyager or Idéale 134 has a better shape - in my view.

While I'm picking nits, if it were mine I'd have Ritchey rubber grips and a single-colour fork as well. But it's not mine, and it's still a lovely bike.

Back