Would you do it?

Would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I say if you really want something do whatever you can to get it(legally),you only live once!
What is it you're after?

I had to say no, but you only specified selling your bikes; what about selling something else? I sold my 2001 Golf V5 which I LOVED in order to buy my Ellsworth dream build and ironically ended up replacing the golf with a £700 car which is even better! :)

Failing material possessions, what about a kidney? :LOL:

Well, seeing as how Ive done it before I felt obligated to vote yes, but to be fair since I did I've replaced the collection two fold and have amassed 3 frames of that untouchable dream bike (the STS), have broken 2 and am waiting for number 4 to arrive. I remember the day I rolled my first STS-DH out of Ace Cycles rolled up to the trail head and watched the jaws drop. I can also still feel the broken collar bone that frame gave me when I cracked the down tube clear in half not 3 months after I bought it. So now to negate my vote, would I do it today? Probably not. I'm not sure I could give up all the memories Ive had on each of my rides not to mention Id have to redecorate (broken frames get wall space).

The only thing you cannot replace are the memories attached to a bike that's an old friend. Don't sell. There will always be another 'better bike'....that way madness lies.

There are three that I definitely wouldn't sell:

1 • My first 'proper' mtb, owned since new in '92. It's in bits and the post's stuck but it'll never leave me.

2 • The bike I always dreamed of BITD and am nearly finished fettling with.

3 • The bike that would be impossible to replace as there aren't too many about.

All the others I would probably sell as they don't really mean a huge amount to me. They would be tricky to replace if I sold them, but that's the only thing really I think. If it meant getting my 'Most Wanted' then I'd sell them all without a thought.

The parts thing is a strange one though. I couldn't sell everything as some of them would be needed to build the 'dream bike' wouldn't they?!

A lot of stuff though I have just hoarded cos it's NOS, and I don't want to fit it or haven't got anything to fit it to... Things like that I wouldn't have a problem with selling to fund the 'dream bike'. Again they would be difficult / impossible to replace, but they would have helped get me the dream bike.

Oh, and by the way - Jez has another bike (at least one!) which isn't in the photos - his original Lava Dome with Quadras!

all valid points but what i've noticed now is that i buy a bike and then don't use it for example my Hot. Its in my dad's loft with a brand new set of wheels on it that haven't even been ridden. I'm ashamed to say this as well but i haven't even ridden the Hot so why shouldn't someone else get the benefit of it and i can fund a custom Ti machine. I've had a wee foray into the world of full sus and always end up back out on my hardtail Kilauea. Then i see things like that Lynskey in the readers bike section and swoon every time i look at it. I'll never ever sell the Kilauea but i do lust after a custom Ti bike everyday. I had a big sale a year or so ago after discovering i had about 4 sets of sus forks sitting there and enough gear to build another 2 bikes and now i'm back to square one. Plus i only live in a 2 bedroom tenement flat in Glasgow and i'll have to kick my brother out at this rate if i keep buying things i don't use :D

MJN":gfqriv12 said:
What ever you do,do not look at Kent Ericssens website :shock:

Agreed. Could cost me a divorce.

I've cleared a 'few' bikes and some kit this year to fund one special purchase - quite liberating :D

MJN":33xaani3 said:
What ever you do,do not look at Kent Ericssens website :shock:

He was on my short list but i think i'm going with someone else. Keep an eye out boys big big sale coming up. Hot, Pauls, Groovy, FSX, Pace, Grafton, Clarke Kent and even my newly painted Beast :roll:

Back