Wookiee's 2012 Santa Cruz Highball Alu FINISHED PAGE 2!

wookiee":3ism9qv5 said:
Muddy paw":3ism9qv5 said:
I'm loving the bike it looks pretty awesome and it seems to handle really well from what you've said but not sure if i'd like riding a 29er tbh as they seem to look pretty tall but yours does tend to look a little tempting imho ..

I don't think 29ers are for everyone but this one does suit me. I like the wide bars and it feels robust and has a "go anywhere" feel about it. I do also ride 26ers which offer a different experience, maybe a bit more responsive or you could call it twitchy. I guess as I am getting older I am like something a bit more stable! I would say try one though if you get the chance, I was a bit dubious but that changed after I rode one. :cool:

Well i'm a little over 47 year old and still prefer the twitchy type of ride associated with a 26er so i think that's what i'll be sticking with for the time being unless something else more tempting comes along ..

Muddy paw":3c83brkg said:
wookiee":3c83brkg said:
Muddy paw":3c83brkg said:
I'm loving the bike it looks pretty awesome and it seems to handle really well from what you've said but not sure if i'd like riding a 29er tbh as they seem to look pretty tall but yours does tend to look a little tempting imho ..

I don't think 29ers are for everyone but this one does suit me. I like the wide bars and it feels robust and has a "go anywhere" feel about it. I do also ride 26ers which offer a different experience, maybe a bit more responsive or you could call it twitchy. I guess as I am getting older I am like something a bit more stable! I would say try one though if you get the chance, I was a bit dubious but that changed after I rode one. :cool:

Well i'm a little over 47 year old and still prefer the twitchy type of ride associated with a 26er so i think that's what i'll be sticking with for the time being unless something else more tempting comes along ..

Fair enough but if you get the chance try it! I was out with an old riding mate the other weekend and he commented that I was much quicker/confident on the 29er than previous bikes...

Mindmap3":c6e4muvq said:
Personally I think good geometry is more important than wheel size...my Rune is far from twitchy!

Perhaps twitchy was the incorrect word to use...I just feel on the 29er more "solid" perhaps in part that is due to my size/weight. When riding my 26" bikes they require more precision and faster thinking, more racey I suppose...(something that I am not blessed with! :facepalm: ) The 29" wheels make it, for me, more forgiving if the line chosen on a trail is not the ideal choice and turns out to be more "challenging"! And it would seem, in my experience, the grip is better too. When turning it feels more grounded, when you do loose traction it seems to bite back in again quicker. Climbing also seems to be easier, more grip and just seem to steamroller up them. Perhaps again it just suits my riding style and the fact that I am very much "intermediate" and not "race". My average speed offroad is around 8-9mph, but enjoyable and still thrilling for me!

Geometry is important, I absolutely agree and I have a weird long body/short legs physique! Despite being 6ft 3ish! When I first got on a 29er it felt, to me, the correct "scale" if that makes sense! Finally a bike that fits me! So I'm sure its not for all but for me?....I'm sold!

I've not ridden a 29er so can't comment too much on the actual differences but my understanding is that once up to speed they hold their speed better are able to roll over obstacles that a smaller wheel would normally hang up on. The downside is that the bigger wheels make them react slower to rider inputs etc, especially cornering.

The reality is that siome guys have killed me on 29ers and I've cruised past others even on techy climbs. The rider makes the biggest difference and different things suit different people. I like modern bikes with a slack head angle and a steep seat angle. With a proper length top tube and a short stem, it feels bob on for me.

wookiee":2rfh672p said:
Muddy paw":2rfh672p said:
wookie said:

Fair enough but if you get the chance try it! I was out with an old riding mate the other weekend and he commented that I was much quicker/confident on the 29er than previous bikes...
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Don't get me wrong i'm always up for giving something new a try so when i get the chance i'll give a 29er a try and i'll let you know what my thoughts on it are ;) ..

Muddy paw":3g38hk43 said:
wookiee":3g38hk43 said:
Muddy paw":3g38hk43 said:
wookie said:

[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Don't get me wrong i'm always up for giving something new a try so when i get the chance i'll give a 29er a try and i'll let you know what my thoughts on it are ;) ..[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Thats been my problem in life always up for giving something a try! :facepalm: :D

Re:

Entering the 2nd winter on this bike and should give a little update...been riding this the most this year. Did a lap or 2 at Mayhem this year and a few at Bonty 24/12 also. Not to mention the 2000 odd offroad miles done also. The summer of 2014 was blessed with good weather so all my usual rides were more dusty than gloopy and were a joy with this bike has performing well. I have had to shell out a few bucks on parts though... new bearings for rear wheel £40 odd and then new free hub £57. Then the creak started...I changed the BB then the crankset then the cassette and chain and still the creak under pressure persisted.

Took it to my LBS where Jonnyboy happened to be working at the time and he gave it the once over. Turns out, it seems, that the rear dropouts were the source of the creaking! Then Jon had a look at my Fox forks...screwed was the diagnosis but after a lower strip down and a bit of love they are working better than they ever have! Still thinking of going for a Rockshox pair though as the Fox fork is higher maintainence!

So the SC has the Bonty MudX tyres back on it (they are a bugger to seat straight with tubes!) and is all set for another Southern England winter!

Doug

albash82":36j0mzba said:
So did u give it respray in t'end? Come on lad, recent pics!

Not yet had a respray but its not off the cards! Just need to get it through this winter, although out on it today the higher ground is pretty dry only the real low areas were still soggy. I have also stuck the Schwalbe Hans Dampf back on the front and it works really well combined with the Bonty Mudx on the rear. Also got an Easton Haven carbon seatpost which helps on the rooty bits!

Still love the bike but I see a few changes....the fox forks have served me well but the regular servicing is a bit of a pain, so thinking of a Rockshox Reba fork. And when it gets dryer the XTR drive train goes back on!

Oh and was sucked into buying some Santa Cruz Palmdale grips :facepalm: But they are really good! Lock on but soft bar ends and a really nice profile for my hands.

...Maybe a change of colour too who knows! The only thing tempting me away from the SC is something with similar geometry but made of Titanium! :facepalm:

Still a great bike though...

Back