Wireless Dongle/Adaptor Query

Final update - computer is now where i planned for it and IT IS WORKING!!!! Whooo hooooooooooo

Thanks again everyone,

Richard

TGR":2ih7mm7j said:
Why? It has anti virus and the wifi is covered by a password.

Richard
:LOL: the naivety..... it'll be downloaded for you. You have a teenage (?) daughter.

Might be worth googling for some instructions to create recovery discs.
So when the computer grinds to a halt, you can start again from scratch!

Had to do this twice for my father in law. He clicks on anything, even pop ups telling him his computer is infected. (It wasn't, but it certainly is now!)

He's not even able to install updates now.

Doomed, your all doomed I say!

Just download avast. Enjoy. Takes care of updates and filtering and germs and all that.

mattr":7sqpvg50 said:
TGR":7sqpvg50 said:
Why? It has anti virus and the wifi is covered by a password.

Richard
:LOL: the naivety..... it'll be downloaded for you. You have a teenage (?) daughter.

Might be worth googling for some instructions to create recovery discs.
So when the computer grinds to a halt, you can start again from scratch!

Had to do this twice for my father in law. He clicks on anything, even pop ups telling him his computer is infected. (It wasn't, but it certainly is now!)

He's not even able to install updates now.
If I look after PCs for people, I'm the only one who has admin access. That cuts out a lot of malware managing to take hold - it's not foolproof, mind, but in combination with some half decent security software, should be enough to keep most PCs ticking over.

That said, I haven't had to look after any PCs for teenagers, yet...

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I have AVG (not free) on this and malware bytes - i might put the on the new desktop.

I should add, my daughter is only 7!!!

She will not D/L anything deliberately as she has been warned - especially at the moment when there are a load of updates to be done.

I might need some pointers re parental locks etc

Richard

7 is probably just as bad.
Many of the children's educational sites seem to have been written by children. Lots of back doors and easy ways to piggy back nasties.

Least she won't be visiting dodgy fan sites, and downloading wall papers just yet.
I'd start looking at parental locks/dns filtering or similar before she even starts using it!

Back