Winter Rides....what you using?

When I lived in the UK I put the Klein away after the October Polaris and brought it out again for the March competition. My winter bike was a solid Kona single speed and after a few years of weekend and night rides including the Dark Peak the only part that needed replacing was the headset.
I used a Time Atacs and Shimano winter boots combo as it seemed to deal with mud better than SPD's and disco slippers.

I have everything to build up a winter bike, stuff I don't really care about. Problem is I know I'll just walk straight past it and grab something I love riding instead.

I have everything to build up a winter bike, stuff I don't really care about. Problem is I know I'll just walk straight past it and grab something I love riding instead.
So build it to love it instead. It's not the parts that bring the joy, it's the feel.
Right now I'm thunking of pulling out the oldish brand x xc frame, adding drops and semi slicks with cable cookie cutters and 2000 sora 1x8. Just missing a suitable 31.8 stem. No part of it will be shiny but it would be fun to ride when it stops being fun to ride I'll do something else to it.

No reason, but the trails round here could be fin on it.

Built this up just for the ice and snow in winter.Its running ice spike tyres. To be honest its very much underused but when its needed its quite an interesting ride.Took it out on thick sheet ice last winter and cornering on the spike tyres took some getting used to.Also climbing on shiny ice without the back wheel slipping seems a bit odd.I have a spare set of wheels with cross tyres on so it can be used for gravel but we dont have much of that in the yorkshire dales. If you are going off road then an mtb would be far better

Attachments

• xb rb.jpg
    xb rb.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 6
Currently riding this...
P1010022.JPG

Pic taken after I gave it a clean, I put the mudguards back on and I'm using it as my main workhorse/commuter this winter. The plan is to strip it down and rebuild it in the spring with a view to using it for some bikepacking adventures next summer.

It basically came ready to go as a winter commuter and is perfect in that role, so who knows, maybe I'll just leave it as is and pull it out of the shed every November.

This is how it arrived.
9d87ce0f-4028-45a1-9523-af200104850e.jpg

I tend to ride my modern gravel bike or my drop bar vintage hybrid in the winter, but we don't suffer from a lot of clay based mud around here. Sandy loam with lots of baby heads tends to be the dirt of choice. Any of my vintage mountain bikes will work as well. The bigger issue here is wet sticky snow building up in your cassette.

Back