Riding Kit. The Early Years. What did you wear?

biglev":1x9wvuw2 said:
Right no laughing... okay you can laugh.

this is in 1990:
fluo/ rad lycra
p4pb7474055.jpg

Nice Reebok Classic Royale's, biglev - I've still got mine! :D :cool:

P1060190.jpg

I remember getting my first pair of Lycra short from the Colin Lewis shop (the Paignton one) in around 1986.

Pair of cheap trainers, black 'roadie' winter wool cycle tights, blue 'Capital Radio' sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off with a Stanley knife and a red canoe helmet.

Oh and a blue 'cagoule' if it rained :D

I love this thread.

I'll get some of my old pics scanned in.

Late 80's... Cut off jeans, fake frogkins, 'surf' t-shirts in the summer

Winter was ski gear, big padded jacket, mittens, leather walking boots.

When I started, I couldn't afford "proper" cycling shoes so used an old pair of football boots (studs removed) and filed the sole flat to give me a "stiff" shoe. They worked fine until you had to get off the bike and walk - no grip!!!

when I raced it was in a one piece Lycra body suit - I'll see if any photos have survived :oops:

remember keeping my bonce covered with one of these

kirbdug :D

Attachments

• VettaTesta.jpg
    VettaTesta.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 690
Now I happened to grow up in the same area as Doctor S. But I don't recognise any of what he's talking about - but I was never part of a cycling scene until much later. I do remember Dave and Carl opening their MTB shop on Doncaster Road near Kendray though.... but that was 1990 I think.

My first cycling kit round 91 was a pair of Carati shorts, a black Met Testarossa and a black and white PDM-style Ultima Jersey (I was a goth, alright?). Then a pair of UVex SPD boots.

Before that it was jeans and t-shirts......

Nice Reebok Classic Royale's, biglev - I've still got mine! :D :cool:

P1060190.jpg
[/quote]

My word thems the ones! Wish you could still get them

(we used to get ours at a special price in the Wagon & Horses down on the quay in Lancaster, just next to the Reebok warehouse)

I used to wear Nike or Shimano SPD shoes with normal black cycling shorts and a Grisley (the oversized spanish bikes) Pink jersey, im trying to find a picture of it...
Then I bought the Zaskar :
heres the "free ride" looks and the "new" GT Jersey with some friends.
If you notice, a old GT Jersey, a Ritchey and a Grisley (mine was wayyy ugly than that)
From left to right Tequesta, Hardrock, Alu Comp, Zaskar, Alu max, Grisley Mega 20

foto4ha.jpg

foto9gz.jpg

Back