Riding Kit. The Early Years. What did you wear?

Right no laughing... okay you can laugh.

this is in 1990:
fluo/ rad lycra
p4pb7474055.jpg

and casual, cons, animal watch strap and pace top (i still have) bad hair was optional.
p4pb7474052.jpg

Rob Atkin":2iqreh3e said:

that back tyre is taking a pasting!!

I just wore what was in the cupboards too. Normally something clashing, but it was the late 90's, therefore justified :)

No pictures though, I'm afraid... :oops: :roll:

In the mid '80s the uniform for all rock climbers in the lakes and lancaster was:-
patagonia snap t fleece
hh lifa thermal with clmbing related t on top
ron hill tracksters
reebok royale trainers
wayfarers

For riding - same outfit plus crochet backed cycling gloves

In fact that was what we all wore all the time; if out on the pull, same but knacked 501s instead of tracksters, and vintage dinner collarless shirt.
My we were cool - can't believe any of us ever managed to 'pull',but somehow we did.

When I started out on my Muddy Fox Courier Mega I used to just wear my Docs (school shoes) and jeans and a T.. then when things got serious my folks bought me this (1990 :?: ) Alpinestars top with matching shorts (lost), along with some Axo Pony boots and Local Motion Dominators. The helmet of the day was a Specialized Airforce I

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

Also got these from BITD

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

Really want to fit this little number as well but these new fangled helmets have got visors on them now :(

IMG_1542.jpg

Nice threads, CC :cool:

For me, BITD, it was usually:

Reebok GL6000 trainers
Berghaus Trango Extrem jacket (winter)
Rox t-shirt/Stif 'Well Bastard Fast' t-shirt (summer)
No helmet (for "poofs" back then...), or gloves, or shades
Nike shorts or trackie bottoms
Adidas socks

:D

Ah the Stif well bastard fast t-shirt, these came about after I'd left leeds and stopped riding for their ad hoc team (when they were based at the sail loft).

By the 90s riding kit had changed just a little - Etto green and white helmet, frogskins, lycra shorts (often covered by 3/4 troll climbing tights purple and green pinstripe - mmm nice), merrells then original shimano spd shoes

I wore a cotton t-shirt, lycra cycling shorts, wool logger socks, hiking shoes, leather cycling gloves with the macrame back, some sort of atrocious blade style sunglasses and my Bell Brava helmet during the summer. In the winter I'd put on italian wool tights, a goretex, lifa long underwear shirt and a sweater.

Back