Winter Project #2: 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Re:

Got a photo from Quy. Looks good from a far. Hopefully as good up close :)

37b2a76a1e1ad360044e1eb90dbcb1db.jpg

interested in seeing close-ups of the black/white meeting points. did he mask all the threads? or will you have to chase them? looks like you'll have to face the head tube and bb shell.

and did you strip them, or did you have him do it?

Really nice! =)

Whenever you paint a frame you should always face the head tube and BB shell, whether it's sprayed or powder coated...

I usually get both faced before building up a frame even if it has original paint... you would be surprised how often they don't bother doing it at the factory after painting...

RockiMtn":3pkxtead said:
interested in seeing close-ups of the black/white meeting points. did he mask all the threads? or will you have to chase them? looks like you'll have to face the head tube and bb shell.

and did you strip them, or did you have him do it?

I am curious to see that to. Hopefully they turned out well. This is a tough thing to do with powder, especially considering the tight meeting points.

Quy has done 6 frames (Norco, Bontrager, Brodie, Yo Eddy, and these two Bliizards) for me so far all solid colours (less these 2). He masks any thread you tell him to. He's also done forks, and lots of little parts like Syncros stems and cranks for me.

I chase all the threads like most new frames. The BB and head tube should be faced IMO.

He can strip the frames. He's stripped every frame I've sent him except the Yo Eddy (I did that to be extra safe).

The solid coloured bikes have turned out very well. Quy knows what he's doing.

If you are in southern Ontario and you need a bike done try him out. The price point is great.

Re:

Wow! Nice, I have a blizzard I need done but couldn't be further away while still being in the same country.

As for facing. With a cartidge BB it isn't totally necessary and I'll argue that while it is considered de rigueue by us bike nerds for both to be faced it rarely matters. So it is not a surprise how many production frames are not faced post paint. I had a frame wet painted in California and the painter wanted me to use a phil BB so the BB didn't have to be faced, but I insisted it be faced because i was using a cup and ball BB. It's a bicycle not a rocket. It's more important that everything is faced when the construction is completed, which is usually the case.

I pick the frames up and drop more stuff off next week. My 94 spesh FSR and 85 spesh Team are going in alone with some smaller parts.

I can ask him about shipping stuff for people. I know he ships a lot of high end car rims he's redone.

jimi911":2579h8oy said:
I pick the frames up and drop more stuff off next week. My 94 spesh FSR and 85 spesh Team are going in alone with some smaller parts.

I can ask him about shipping stuff for people. I know he ships a lot of high end car rims he's redone.

Thanks, I'll probably end up having it done in Vancouver as I have friends and family there that can hang onto stuff for me between visits. I might spring for a Toxik paint job on the blizz, who knows!

Re: Re:

cyclotoine":1532wtny said:
As for facing. With a cartidge BB it isn't totally necessary and I'll argue that while it is considered de rigueue by us bike nerds for both to be faced it rarely matters. So it is not a surprise how many production frames are not faced post paint. I had a frame wet painted in California and the painter wanted me to use a phil BB so the BB didn't have to be faced, but I insisted it be faced because i was using a cup and ball BB. It's a bicycle not a rocket. It's more important that everything is faced when the construction is completed, which is usually the case.

You could probably get away without facing the BB shell... If it were me I would either face it or use a Race Face BB which has no lips on the cups

Head tube should be faced though to ensure your headset sits on perfectly flush

Re:

Got the frames back. Pretty pleased. The only problem was that I should a told him to move th tape line up from the lower weld. Other than that line, it's all sharpe.

Before:
02576b9cd95f53ba7217c179abd4df87.jpg

After:
be1c1f482ab77f182c43a0064b06ddbf.jpg

Before:
a31f2ac297deab261ddb904026717fb1.jpg

After:
4e21b98ce2a397df2d303105624937d4.jpg

Very nice! Was Quy able to do a pearl white? Or just a standard white? It looks like a good match!

Back