Winter glove recommendations

mattr":1qa7qo5q said:
Oh, FWIW a good jacket will make a significant difference too. Warm arms/core = warm hands.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Layer up, arm warmers etc. To regulate your core temp your body will reduce blood flow to the extremities, if your fingers aren't generating any heat then it doesn't really matter how good the insulation in your gloves is!!! That's probably why reviews for gloves are so varied and some people say XXX cheapo woolly gloves are really good and other people still get cold fingers when using £60 super gloves with 8 inches of loft insulation in them.

I cycled to work on Tuesday and it was -2, I wore a windproof coat, a couple of technical tops and Sealskinz winter gloves. I had cold numb fingers. the next day it was -6 and I wore the same coat and gloves but this time one tech top, a fleece layer and some arm warmers. My hands were feeling warm to hot and at one point after riding up a hill I felt like I wanted to stop and ride along for a bit with no gloves on. I didn't though, that would have been stupid. The other difference between Tuesday and Wednesday....... I ate breakfast before cycling on Wednesday.

Core temp!!!

Re:

My core temperature was fine, even had to slow down a bit so I didn't overheat!
Just fingers.

And toes :facepalm:
Should have used overshoes on the coldest day.

Mike

Re:

How about your arms and legs though???

I find that sometimes I feel hot around the neck and chest so think I'm hot but when I actually think about it I realise that my shoulders and arms are cold. That's why I suggested arm warmers in my previous post. Knee warmers too under your leggings. I also have some thermal insoles to better insulate the ball of my foot from the SPD cleat retaining plate in the shoe, as that can get very cold being mechanically attached to the cold bicycle.

Re:

My clothing this week.

Thermal t shirt, short sleeves top, arm warmers, long sleeved top, windproof.
Bib shorts, roubaix bibtights, socks, hat, helmet gloves and shoes.
Legs, fine, body fine.
Just fingers and toes. Overshoes would've helped feet

Mike

I used to have a pair of gloves made by a company called Ami Chaud, they're traditionally ski gloves but the ones I had were fleece lined with a waterproof soft shell. I always have cold hands and they were the only gloves I've ever used that kept my hands warm on rides regardless of the weather. Sadly I lent them to someone and he lost them (He was a cock so I should have known better) and I haven't been able to find a pair ever again. I currently use some Sprayway gloves, I think they're walking gloves but they're fine for manipulating shifters, here they are: http://www.edgeoftheworld.com/p/11645/S ... ns---Black

Back