Whyte JW-2 shock removal advice please

Re: Need Weird Whyte JW/PRST buying advice VICTIM FOUND!!!!!!!!

Thanks that’s really helpful.

Interesting thread...

I’ve had 3 PRST-4’s, 2 19”s and a 21”. I bought the first 19” to ride, the 2nd 19” just in case I needed spares for the first one, and the 21” because I’m 6’3” and not exactly waif like.

A couple of things I noticed that contradict previous posts in this thread though (sorry);

1/ all 3 of my PRST-4’s have taken 27mm seatposts withiut shims.
2/ the 21” frame is 20mm longer headtube to seat-tube than the 19’s.

How did I never see or hear about a Whyte PRST until now?? I'm looking forward to your ride report, THM.

Me too. Currently untouched due to various other matters. I will get around to it once the move has happened and I have my new shed.

The History Man":2dj848yr said:
Me too. Currently untouched due to various other matters. I will get around to it once the move has happened and I have my new shed.

Here's a helpful guide...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5pFffNlk-c[/youtube]

:facepalm:

Attachments

• FAF1A502-1601-4F8B-B1E3-F422F072A642.jpeg
    FAF1A502-1601-4F8B-B1E3-F422F072A642.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 752

Nice Retro come back

anyone under 40, or from overseas won’t have a clue what your on about

Retro Spud":11qlqaoe said:
Nice Retro come back

anyone under 40, or from overseas won’t have a clue what your on about

And that’s how we like it on our little Dias.... :cool:

Duxuk":2c8lktel said:
The shock is a 165mm with (I'm pretty sure) 43mm of travel. The problem is that you can't have a shock with levers, dials or valves sticking out because there isn't the space, especially for the front shock. The original XFusion and Fox shocks work well. They're neat and tidy and I think an air shock must be the way to go because only earlier PRSTs and JWs had coil shocks. You need sufficient pressure, as mentioned above, to make the system work. If you use a coil shock you need to give it plenty of preload to prevent bobbing.
It's a very unconventional bike. You need virtually zero sag both front ant rear. The advice of body weight in PSI rear and 75% of that front works well in both my XFusion and Fox shocks.
I fitted a DNM shock at the rear but it didn't seem very good. I rebuilt my XFusions just by replacing the oil and they are like new.

Jas, the front and rear shocks are the same length eye to eye and stroke too. You can have a front shock with dials and levers if you fit it as it my picture. The only thing you need to make sure is that you dont get a "high volume" shock - they are too wide. a standard RP23 or a DT swiss Carbon shock fit - I have used both of them successfully.

Mine is relegated to the winter dog walk bike, so is not getting much love now.

The best thing I made for this bike was the front mud guard, it totally protects the front shock - I used an old car wheel arch liner - pretty tough plastic.

Attachments

• DSCF2474.JPG
    DSCF2474.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 596
Back