Who rides their bikes in the mud?

I see this seems to be going slightly off topic, but clearly opinions about the erosional effects of mountain biking will vary and probably always will.
However, there is no need to make mildly pernicious comments about 'us and them' though. This site has an international following so let's be sure to make everyone welcome and keep it that way.

In the UK at least, if we were to completely avoid riding in mud for whatever reason then we'd be restricted to about 3 weeks in every year if we are lucky.
In terms of riding retro, I will admit to having a summer fleet and a winter fleet amongst my collection with a range of variations in between.

For example the near new old stock, fully period correct stuff can wait for a dry day to get a ride out, while the scruffy mid range bikes with modern rims, tyres, cassette and chainrings will get out during wet muddy summer days and bike eating winters.

But it's whatever you are comfortable with. I whinced a bit on a recent ride which started out very dry but got disrupted by one hell of a storm. The trails got very wet and gloopy and I didn't enjoy the sound of my period correct rims being eroded away each time I scrubbed the brakes, or the grinding paste all over my last M737 cassette.

Finally, Akula's story reminded me of this video: --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8a7VBnVPE
It all gets a bit scary at about the 5 minute mark...

Back