who makes modern off-the-peg steel frames nowadays?

Re:

Not sure what Thorn here in Somerset are up to nowadays, but my landlady's niece works there and she turned up here on an amazing audax bike that they'd built for her and then went on to do the end to end on it!

I assume they still build in house and don't farm out to some Taiwanese company? Would give you a link to their website but too knackered to google it all at the mo.... :facepalm: Sure you'll find it easily enough :D

Yes, Thorn still knock out some really nice machines.
I realise lugged wasn't a specific in the original brief but there are still a good few tubesets manufactured by Reynolds, Columbus etc specifically for lugged building.
Its certainly not something you would have to look for an old tubeset to do it with.

Jamie

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":1blmwz72 said:
Not sure what Thorn here in Somerset are up to nowadays, but my landlady's niece works there and she turned up here on an amazing audax bike that they'd built for her and then went on to do the end to end on it!

I assume they still build in house and don't farm out to some Taiwanese company? Would give you a link to their website but too knackered to google it all at the mo.... :facepalm: Sure you'll find it easily enough :D

I had a Thorn in my shop a few weeks back that looked like it was built in Taiwan - MIG/TIG welded frame, looked ok with every braze-on you would ever need, but it still looked a bit mass produced. A shame, because Thorn bikes were fantastic back in the day.

Re:

:D Cheers for the shout out earlier.....I'd sort him out something in Columbus Zona to fit him like a glove for that money.....just sayin.....

And to you

(Gratuitous pic opportunity alert)

P8100012_zps7vwnfduo.jpg

Re:

My Jackson is 631, lugged, and with a 525 back end that I specified after a chat with them. Makes a slightly stiffer back end apparently.
Still the most comfortable bike I have though

Mike

Back