who makes modern off-the-peg steel frames nowadays?

Jamiedyer":ujf71r2i said:
There are the usual old time suspects like Bob Jackson, Mercian, Ellis Briggs, Woodrup etc along with more modern guys like Shand cycles here in Scotland and countless others.
Old style lugged and off the peg at a reasonable price you cannot go past Bob Jackson. better value than most and can be had for the same price as any massed produced 4130 frameset sold in most shops.
I personally find that some of the newer builders see it as some sort of boutique type endeavour and so charge well over the odds for a 531 style lugged steel frame, sometimes nearly three times the price of a £600 Jackson frame.

Jamie

I agree with all of that! Great service at a great price.

Here's mine FWIW

Any excuse to dig out a photo :roll: :LOL:

Mike

Attachments

• Jackson road bike.jpg
    Jackson road bike.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 545
Re:

My garage is a mess but here is my skinny tubed version of the Bob Jackson. Not 2 weeks old yet - just waiting for shiny black post and stem!

New%20Bike%20Small.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Re:

Yes lug lining is good I think. Only took a day longer than the time I was quoted over the phone.

Really nice to ride

I'll put a grenade into this debate and suggest Trevor Jarvis ('cos I've got one).To be fair he's just £80 over your upper price limit but it's a frame to remember!

Also a + for Bob Jackson who renovated my Jarvis and did an excellent job.

H

Re:

there aren't that many build using lugs these days. Once Reynolds had stopped making 531, they made 631 which as made to be lugless welded.

I guess you'd have to look for some holding stocks of older tubing.

Happily corrected if I'm wrong though

Re: Re:

pigman":hniss3w7 said:
there aren't that many build using lugs these days. Once Reynolds had stopped making 531, they made 631 which as made to be lugless welded.

I guess you'd have to look for some holding stocks of older tubing.

Happily corrected if I'm wrong though
I don't think lugged is (or was given as) a requirement, plenty of nice (better ;-)) looking welded frames.

Yep, and he'd be looking for something off the peg I think, rather than fully custom.

Back