Which groupset for this 1975 Gazelle Champion Mondial?

Though nice, those Galli brakes are a little too modern for the frame IMO.

I do like the suggestions of an all French groupset around the Stronglight 93 crankset though with the Simplex Criterium derallieurs and Mafac brakes. Alternatively I could try to find a set of Jubilee derailleurs and CLB brakes to make it a lightweight French groupset... :cool:. The Laprade is a lightweight seatpost already and the Ideale 2002 shouldn't be too heavy either (I'll weigh it tonight).

TGR":1ajwnhly said:
DURA ACE!!!!

Bizarrely the above pics were taken today!!! DA chainset, SR bars, stem and seat post.

Opinion?

Richard

arghhhhh
this gazelle frame makes my mouth water :cool:
I have the 1st generation black dura ace group that I think would fit nicely : black&orange :idea:
you don't want to part from this frame :mrgreen:

black DA would actually be nice on the pale gold frame too :LOL:

LOL

I saw the pic and thought it looked familiar!!!! LOL

I will stick with DA, Mr Gazeller will do a more flashy build, I cannot wait to see what he does.

Richard

Midlife":h0v9hi5n said:
bduc61

Black Dura Ace for sale?

Shaun

Sorry Shaun but that's a keeper ;)
Too rare to let it go :mrgreen:
much rarer than the "too" much seen Campagnolo Nuovo Record :LOL:
Looking for a decent frame to hang it on it :idea:
Puch Vent Noir II maybe even if slightly later frame than the group or gazelle champion mondial but in a a nice fitting colour :idea:

rood-oranje

Richard, your orange is an original colour, it is not faded red. I'm glad you resisted repainting it, it is one of the nicest colours of the time IMO. The colour name is rood-oranje. May I use one of your photographs as a colour sample on the site?

P.S. to prevent rusty spots from getting worse you might try Owatrol oil.

Good morning,

You can use whatever pics work best. That is interesting to know that orange was the original colour because when I was working at the paintwork, the paint which 'rubbed off' was a darker red.

Do you think there was a 1975 catalogue?

Richard

Hmm, might this have been lichtrood (light red) then?

Not sure about a 1975 brochure. The poster-sized 1976 brochure is the first Champion Mondial brochure that I have thus far seen.

The frame is orange and if orange was an available colour, then it is orange. I thought it was a faded red but orange makes much more sense.

Richard

p.s. your site is very useful and you should be congratulated for doing it - thanks

Thanks, I enjoy maintaining the site and I hope it is useful for many.

These early colours are difficult to identify, not many original bikes around anymore. Not too sure about cognac, citroengeel and blauwviolet and the pre-1976 colours goudbrons, groen, blauw and paars either...
Maybe your contact - related to cheese - who worked for Gazelle may shed some light on it?

Latest posts

Back