Which groupset for this 1975 Gazelle Champion Mondial?

I think mine is the same age as yours and the brochure that i saw only showed the frame so the world is your oyster as far as bits go.

Richard

I just checked my frame number - 3 75845 and the forks are marked with a 3 digit number 845. I presumed this was 1975 - am i right?

Richard

Gazelleer said:
@stringfellow1946 I am 1.85m, been running 180mm's for years on all my daily bikes, road and off-road...

Ok You know best!!
But in all my years working for Professional Race teams as a Bike mechanic I have never ever seen anyone using 180mm cranks at 1.85m tall.
175mm cranks would be much more suitable IMHO.
But hay ho its you thats got to ride it.
Going back to your original question I'd prefer the 3rd groupset with Stronglight 93D crankset 175mm cranks.

It could be 3175845 (see here), which would indeed date from 1975.

In the second half of the seventies there were three large Dutch racing brands: Gazelle, Batavus and Koga Miyata (Koga being designed and assembled in the NL). Koga and Batavus mainly fitted Shimano and Gazelle Campagnolo and Suntour. Somehow I still don't associate the earlier Dura Ace groupsets with Gazelle, but I do have some Dura Ace 7200 parts lying around...

I was originally building it with Suntour VX parts but the DA stuff appeared and i could not resist. So i have a box of VX bits now!!! I have not worked out what pedals to use - VX may be an option.

I think DA may be too high a class of components for the A-Frame but i like it a lot. And, as mentioned, there were no pics of a built up bike so the choice is mine (and yours).

a few more pics -

Richard

Stringfellow, nice collection of bikes! Especially like the Superconfex Colnago and the Look. Brave choice of groupset on the GIOS but it works out well!

Interestingly, I have a Gitane Profil time trail frame with a similar construction for aero cable routing in the Campagnolo brake lever as your Mexico ESA. The outer brake cable is in my case routed through the lever bracket and my levers are not Super Records but Gran Sports with the logo removed. They're also pinched flat for aero drag reduction.

They are NOS NIB and are really nice.

Do you still think DA is the wrong way to go?

The wheels are Campag Nuovo Tipo LF with Mavic MA2 rims - rebuilt recently and very, very nice.

I have not started a thread on this build yet but a lot of messing about has been done regarding the condition of the paint. I was advised by a few people NOT to get not resprayed - it is rough in a lot of places. I have taken the advice given and resisted the temptation to repaint.

I was wondering if you are a cheese from the Netherlands? Or related to him?

Richard

Back