When did Shimano first launch SPD?

M737 pedals were definitely on sale in 1992. It's etched in my memory...

I got a pair of them for Christmas 1992, and in January 1993, while accelerating down a road, managed to unintentionally release my left foot and jam it between the spokes and the fork leg :shock: . It launched me straight over the bars, and the bike stayed attached to my jammed foot, then it landed on me and fractured my shoulder blade as I lay on the road. I needed 20-odd stitches in my chin (after they scrubbed the dirt out) and had a rather knackered bike and Giro Hammerhead helmet :oops: I also found that lycra doesn't half slide on a wet road!

Eeek... :shock:

I can still remember the frustration of 'learning' to ride SPD's and still remember thinking '***k this - I'm selling these and buying a lovely pair of XC Pro's with new clips and straps'. Had a few falls but nothing too bad......then it clicked - still think SPD's alongside Hyperglide, indexed gears and Lock-on grips are the best MTB innovations ever.

I agree: SPDs were and still are fantastic, and the 737s seem to be bomb-proof. I forgave them, and still use the shoes and pedals now.

I did, however, learn a valuable lesson in re-tensioning things as they break in a bit. Still, the hospital gave me a lovely polaroid picture and I was quite impressed at how much I bent the fork steerer tube and front wheel.

Giro also replaced my helmet for free if I sent the old one back to them with some information on what happened and what the helmet did. Do they still do that.? I guess not, given the lower price of helmets now, but it sold the Giro brand to me at the time!

I only use 737's and have got them on all my bikes, MTB and road. I must admit that I also found SPD's awkward at first but then all of a sudden it just clicked (pun intended!) and using them became a piece of urine.

I tried Look on the road and found them awful, I just couldn't get my feet to clip in and the big plates slide all over the place especially when the ground is wet. I only use them on my Turbo bike now.

737's certainly seem bomb proof. I've never done any maintenance on them except for cleaning mud out after a wet ride off-road.

Certainly available, as I'm sure I had them earlier than that in 1990 or 1991. Must have as I remember skipping sports day, and using them. I was in 'lower school' (KS3 ages in modern terms).

EDIT.
Pedal where none groupset specific at the time, though due to the numbering convention became associated with DX/XT iirc

Spent £99 on some in 1993

Only ever fell off twice - once in a garage and once after a bottle of JD

Attachments

• DSC01644.JPG
    DSC01644.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 911
FluffyChicken":33hrzidn said:
Pedal where none groupset specific at the time, though due to the numbering convention became associated with DX/XT iirc

'Ordinary' pedals certainly were. I have some 1992 PD-M735 pedals in front of me with 'Deore XT' clearly written on them ;)

Right then, proof I hope now
Dug out the original instructions (yes very sad i know :) ) and clearly shows the year to be, well have a look for yourselves

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_0499 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0499 (Medium).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 894
Still think they where out before 1992, that could just be that specific print of the instructions print date ;)
But it does show they where available in 1992, which I guess is the point.

tallpaul, I was talking with respect to SPD's

Back