When did Shimano first launch SPD?

Fairly sure I got my first pair of M737s in 1991 along with a set of M100 shoes – still got those pedals although the plastic collar sheared off when trying to undo them for a (seemingly pointless) service, I think the early ones were prone to that. Never did get around to servicing them and they still spin smooth today. A testament to the quality of the 1st gen XTs.

Loved those M100 shoes too, I keep my eyes open for a pair but never see them

Will dig mine out and check any date code - as posted earlier IIRC I got mine early '92 but it may have been late '91.

As Crayons says the first ones were prone to breaking the plastic collar - mine did the first time I tried to undo it.

Simply drill a 2mm hole (just visible in pic I posted) in the outer central point of the pedal and use it to inject grease now and again - it squeezes out through the other end by the collar on the spindle - they will last virtually for ever that way and no dirt can get in due to being full of grease.

Simply drill a 2mm hole (just visible in pic I posted) in the outer central point of the pedal and use it to inject grease now and again - it squeezes out through the other end by the collar on the spindle - they will last virtually for ever that way and no dirt can get in due to being full of grease.

That's exactly what I did (then plugged the hole with a bit of bathroom silicone) Perhaps this was a tip in one of the mags BITD – not sure I'd have thought of it myself but I can't remember if someone suggested doing it or if I read it somewhere.

If I recall you could get replacement collars from SRP I think – process for getting the old ones out went something like: Strip pedal of anything that could come off then head vigorously with a gas torch to melt the nylon sleeve then pull molten mess from inside pedal with pliers (or was that just the advice of the old bike shop :LOL: )

I have a copy of Bicycle Science magazine (don't, I know!) from 1988 when Shimano first introduced and tested SPD, They were then launched to the public in - beleive it or not 1990

Old Ned":19yzk1jw said:
SPD's were in use in the 1990 World Championships in Durango.

I'm quite quite surprised by how late in date everyones guessing! ironically ned overend was still using clips & straps at durango 1990 worlds as they were pretty commonplace by then

FirstFlight":ffa8j6i3 said:
If ya'll have questions like this, check out the MOMBAT.org web site. I spend many hours posting this stuff......so please make me feel useful :)

http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm#1990

Problem is there is no evidence to back up the information their and you only seem to put the two top groupsets in.

Of course I know it takes time and is better than anything. May be for the future put it into a Wiki style page. (for ease of use and linking)

Shimano states 1990 on their history page for SPD release, 1991 for XTR release (though it is a 1992 groupset)
http://corporate.shimano.com/publish/co ... story.html

Back