When did Shimano first launch SPD?

FluffyChicken":3necojls said:
PDL, well Microsoft says they where released in 1990, though someone on Wikipedia says they where introduced in 1988 (with no reference to anything)
I believe Mr Shimano used to walk around in the '100' SPD shoes (prototypes I would guess) before that, all over the place to test them they where the grey ones. I think that was covered before the official release, so i guess introduced...
But don't quote me, I was still new to MTB's in 1988 (i.e. just a dream other people road iirc.) and memory is a hunch sort of thing.

Or the Wikipedia thing may explain the 1988 reference in What Mountain Bike :shock:. I hope not!

I thought 1988 was too early (but, then I'd have only been 12 and hadn't even got my Raleigh Mustang :oops: at that point; happy days!). Personally, I can't remember references to SPD being on sale pre-1992 or perhaps late 1991, but then that's only when I really started to get into decent bike stuff so that may be more than a coincidence. No doubt they will have been used by a racer or two for a season before they were actually put on sale.

I'm sure I bought my first pair in 1990 from Klimbhigh Cycles in Daventry ( I remember getting a discount for doing the cartoons for his MBUK adverts), I was in the fourth year at school so it must've been then. I've still got the box in the loft at me mum,s so I'll have a look,might even be a receipt in there?

I've still got them, & the shoes although they're a bit tight now. Why can't Shimano make shoes the right size? Always tight on me!!

I've had a few scrapes with them like everyone else. I remember with particular fondness the time my spuds & a pair of walkers joined forces - the result of which was me splashing around in the canal with my feet still clipped in!!! :roll:

I'm sure I bought my first pair in 1990 from Klimbhigh Cycles in Daventry ( I remember getting a discount for doing the cartoons for his MBUK adverts), I was in the fourth year at school so it must've been then. I've still got the box in the loft at me mum,s so I'll have a look,might even be a receipt in there?

I've still got them, & the shoes although they're a bit tight now. Why can't Shimano make shoes the right size? Always tight on me!!

I've had a few scrapes with them like everyone else. I remember with particular fondness the time my spuds & a pair of walkers joined forces - the result of which was me splashing around in the canal with my feet still clipped in!!! :roll:

I have the dates of events on the back of photos so i know mine were early 91, feb in fact. Courtesy of one of the Trek mechanics.

As I have been scanning stuff from older magazines, I ran across the original Shimano ad in early 1990 for the pedals and shoes.

Back