Wheel truing jig

My custom 700B wheel jig. I have others for 26" etc. All vice mounted.

The tips are full of bike frames to make something for virtually no cost at all, and far better than
a lot of the shit on the market. If I was to shell out for a decent jig, it would be a Hozan.

Attachments

• Wheel_Jig_rs.jpg
    Wheel_Jig_rs.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 295
TerryParadise":2vn3fqou said:
It's a tough one for me, usually with this sort of thing I don't like false economies - I'd rather buy something good once rather than a few poor quality knock-offs. But it sounds to me like unless I'm planning to open a workshop or have endless cash then I'll probably be fine with the cheaper option.
I was expecting some horror stories about useless mass produced Chinese junk and to be told to avoid like the plague.
Interesting.
I got one of the cheap jigs, as per the link in your original post, back in the summer (although it was about twice the price at the time). I can't say my experience was as positive as ishaw's: too much play in the centring guides on mine. I guess the quality control is a bit iffy so getting a good one is probably more a matter of good luck than precise manufacturing. I went back to flipping the bike over and using the frame/forks instead.

mdvineng":2bxcj1fq said:
You could just use the bike frame to do it

This; the tricky bit is dishing, and using the frame that the wheel will actually support is a boon. Use zip ties as tell tales.

doctor-bond":2zbea5xd said:
mdvineng":2zbea5xd said:
You could just use the bike frame to do it

This; the tricky bit is dishing, and using the frame that the wheel will actually support is a boon. Use zip ties as tell tales.

I just use one reference point, and keep flipping the wheel. It does require a solid jig with no flex though.

I tried using one of those cheap Park ones once. Horrible thing. So much slop and play in it that I'd honestly have called it unfit for purpose. Ended up using the frame/fork instead.

I've heard the Lifeline ones are really good, pretty much as good as a Park TS2, but never actually used one myself.

I treated myself to a TS2.2p a few years ago and despite the fact you'd be lucky if it got used probably ten times in the first two years I owned it, I've never once regretted spending the money on it. Truing wheels became a pleasure instead of a chore.

looks better than the cheapo tacx truing stand i received as a present some years ago - you have to clamp the damn thing to a table - not the worlds most stable fitting. Does the job but a pain to use. It has one advantage - it folds flat and you can hide it out of view.

Back