Wheel truing jig

It's a tough one for me, usually with this sort of thing I don't like false economies - I'd rather buy something good once rather than a few poor quality knock-offs. But it sounds to me like unless I'm planning to open a workshop or have endless cash then I'll probably be fine with the cheaper option.
I was expecting some horror stories about useless mass produced Chinese junk and to be told to avoid like the plague.
Interesting.

48240_10153170791570014_47628702_o.jpg

A wheel i built (and the jig), still have the wheels and the jig. Work bench has long since gone to the tip!

(DA9000, Ambrosio Nemesis and Sapim Race spokes)

Did some wheels for a mate on this, a 50/65mm deep pair of carbons, 24 spoke DA 9000 hubs (radial front, 2x/3x rear) took him to an age group medal in the national triathlon champs...

Re:

I'd say something is better than nothing. My wheel stand was a cheapie and it's been very useful. I'd like something nicer but not enough to fork out the cash...yet.

The wheelbuilder i use uses one thats made of steel. A flat plate with welded arms, and thats pretty much it.
Seen here in use. and about 32sec you get a better look of how basic it is.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3vlMwKxp8[/youtube]
I expect there will be a few important criteria, but I reckon this one in use here is not going to cost that much for a welder to make.

Prices for everything are currently going through the roof, and even the simplest mass produced jig is more than the average welding shop will charge you to weld a coule of arms onto a base and have them true/90deg etc.

foxb13":344gq8f3 said:
Bought this Japan-made Minoura FT-1 some times ago. Rose Bikes had a nice discount on it that seems to be still valid. But now, you apparently have to wait for 18 weeks: https://www.rosebikes.fr/minoura-ft-1-s ... age-872495

that Minoura stand looks great, but there's no way I can wait 18 weeks, I'll surely have lost interest by then!

Whatever I do I'm going to wait for Boxing day / January sales now and see if anything pops up.

dyna-ti":3n3yb37w said:
The wheelbuilder i use uses one thats made of steel. A flat plate with welded arms, and thats pretty much it.
Seen her in use.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3vlMwKxp8[/youtube]
I expect there will be a few important criteria, but I reckon this one in use here is not going to cost that much for a welder to make.

Prices for everything are currently going through the roof, and even the simplest mass produced jig is more than the average welding shop will charge you to weld a coule of arms onto a base and have them true/90deg etc.

You had me at Classic FM and a filter coffee machine! Best workplace ever.

Alas that coffee machine is no more- I'm the one who's been accused of breaking it, and all I did was put boiling water in it. Fill it they said, nobody told me it was supposed to only be used with cold water, but I though it would speed things up and used the boiling tap in the bog.

The yellow sticker says "17 years in the foundry" (Al's an ex foundry worker) I caused its demise :oops: :LOL: Actually the damn thing only ever produced something akin to Macadam road tar. You could put 1/2pt of milk into an espresso out that thing, and it would still be black as night.

mattr":37jcabq2 said:
48240_10153170791570014_47628702_o.jpg

A wheel i built (and the jig), still have the wheels and the jig. Work bench has long since gone to the tip!

(DA9000, Ambrosio Nemesis and Sapim Race spokes)

Did some wheels for a mate on this, a 50/65mm deep pair of carbons, 24 spoke DA 9000 hubs (radial front, 2x/3x rear) took him to an age group medal in the national triathlon champs...

Very nice to see San Miguel being consumed :)

Semi regular road trip to Germany, fill the car with as much alcohol as i can fit in it.... about 9€ a slab IIRC.

Ideal wheel building drink. ;)

Back