Wheel truing jig

TerryParadise

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Has anyone used one of these cheap jigs before?

The way I always look at pricing differences is to ask, compared with the high-end professional model (£250 Park Tools TS 2.2), will this £18 jig really be over 10 times worse? Will I, truing my first ever wheel really be able to tell the difference?

Or should I splash out £90 on either a LifeLine or Park Tools option?

Would be interested to know your thoughts here. I don't currently have a workshop or anything to bolt a jig to, so that may be an issue from what I've read online.

Thanks all!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I still use a set of Syncros forks for the fronts and an old rear end of some suspension bike for the rear. (not sure where it came from, back of someone car maybe at a retro meet)

Turns out a TS2 stand is now cheaper than my powerlites.

But where the fun in having all the right tools.

You'll be fine.
As long as its rigid enough, you can get up/down wobble with a bit of black card or strap something across (visual check) and have something for it to tap against for side to side, you turn it over the get it centred.

Takes a bit longer but go for it.

Roger Musson has a nice book and template to make your own wooden, metal etc.version
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/support/trui ... gauges.php

Well yes, you can always trust the Germans to make the finest precision engineering... reminds me of this coffee grinder I once tried out. Sublime, but is it really necessary? Who knows. I'm sure their marketing team could convince you it is.

Re:

That cheap one you posted is the same as the one I have, and I paid much more for it iirc. Does the job, I've built a few wheels with it and for that price, can't really go wrong imho.

I bought the bendy pressed/bent steel one from park about 20 years ago, cost about 19 quid (50% of that was for the park sticker).
Flex it in to do 100mm front wheels, flex it out to do 135 rears. Can't do through axles on it though. Got a dishing jig at the same time, about 10 quid.

Have still got race wheels i built when it was new. Perfectly true and round. Have built 50+ pairs of wheels on it. Some for me, some for mates, Some for money (or beer).

95% of wheel building is being patient and methodical. The jig/tools just mean you can achieve the precision you need far quicker (i can lace, build true and dish a wheel on a proper shop jig in about 20-30 minutes, on my home set up it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour.)

Back