Whats the most comfortable lightweight saddle?

SEANSTEPHENS

GT Fan
Feedback
View
As per title really, ive tried out a few saddles because im looking for a comfy one which is slim and light. Ive tried some chunky foam saddles for comfort but the chunkier they are the heavier they tend to be. So what is the lightest saddle you would consider to be lightweight? Im not concerned about retro or not but id rather look for quite a plain saddle so that it wouldnt look too out of place on an older bike still

Cheers!! :)

Well, it's reeeealy going to be subjective this one! (for instance, check out http://www.fizik.it/spineconcept/ )
Can you give some idea of which type of saddles you've found comfortable/uncomfortable in the past?
That way it's easier to narrow down to thick/thin, narrow/wide, foam/gel, etc..

I personally like a flexy but thinly-padded, narrow saddle, and have found that the (old) Fizik Aliante is good all day long, and weighs not a lot..
Another really good alternative is to go for the lightweight varieties of Charge Spoon. The Spoon's pretty popular, can be got in 'plain' or retro-type colourings and seems comfortable for a wide (ahem..) variety of people. They come in at about 230-260g, depending on version.
The Fizik is 232g but the newer ones are a bit less weight, and a lot more cost. This is where the Spoon (around £25 quid for an alloy-railed one at 250g) is a good option without costing the earth, or your hindbones..
More 'modern' colouring is on the same saddle base (they're all Velos underneath) from Nukeproof, which are sometimes on sale for less than the Spoons.

You can go down to 195/210g for a (narrow) Selle Italia SLR, anything lighter than that & it's less a saddle & more a recurved seatpost topper.

Flite Titanium, of course.

I'm joking. Saddles are as personal as hats shoes and gloves. What one person finds comfortable, anther can't abide. Id look at the saddles you already own and like, and take it from there.
FWIW, my ideal saddle these days is a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow. So good, I hunt NOS ones down and also recover the ones that wear out.

SelleItaliaSLR_GelFlowTransAm_zpsb0534663.jpg

P1120244_zpsd239a7d4.jpg

I tried the Fizik Arione a while ago, it was unbearable. Still a hugely popular saddle, loved by many, and a great design. Just not for me.

saddles are an exceptionally personal fit item, so what might be comfortable for me, might be agony for someone else. the original bontrager ti railed are some of the slimmest saddles available.
after many years on the original flite saddle, I now love the shape of the fizik gobi, they make a, admittadly pretty expensive version of the gobi thats 142g

full carbon saddles are available fairly cheap off ebay & they're exceptionally lightweight. for smoother trails & rides less than 3hrs they can be fairly comfortable too.

Definitely the Charge Knife for me - 210g and the comfiest saddle (of a sensible weight, like sub-350g or so) I've ever used. Certainly meets the slim/light criteria. Spoons also pretty good but don't suit me quite as well as the Knife somehow. I used to find the WTB Rocket V as good as it got (not that light but there are sub-250g Ti versions) but everything else seems to be agony for the sit bones!

A fraction of adjustment here and there can make all the difference with a saddle comfort/pain-wise too.

I find the Charge Spoon Ti to be really good, also have a SI flite 1990 and a SI slr, find all pretty comfortable.

Re:

My LBS has this little contraption on which you sit, and your sit-bones leave a pressure impression in a sensing surface, which measurement is then compared to a pre-set saddle-size metric chart, giving the measuree the optimum size/type of saddle to consider purchasing (saddles now come in specific width/size groups).

All I can say is, that the aptly sized, quite sleek ti-railed Bontrager saddle I purchased for my road-ized KHS MontanaPro is absolutely superbly comfy, for even on all-day rides!

Re:

Ive never had a saddle which i can say is really comfortable but i havent tried that many.

I had an original flite, which was actually painful to sit on because it was so hard and unsupportive. Ive not tried any of the newer gel flites though

I had a charge spoon for a while as well which i found quite uncomfortable because it was also hard and it hurt my ass

I recently bought a wtb rocket because so many people have said how comfortable they are but i dont find it particularly soft and its also the heaviest saddle i think ive owned. Not good

Sean

Latest posts

Back