WHAT BIKE

FlyingScotM2

Retro Newbie
Can you guys ID this bike for me Cannondale say their records don't go back that far and my S/N is NOT in a format that the Cannondale Vintage website recognises

I think it is a SM600 bought by me about 35 years ago and imported by my from the USA

BUT I was sure I purchased for me a SM800 BUT then my memory is a bit flaky now

The bike has been in the cellar for about 20+ years now only coming out for an infrequent cycle down a canal tow-path and I have a TREK (SORRY CANNONDALE GUYS) Powerfly EMTB now so it is just taking up space and will hardly be used by me now

DOING LOTS OF ONLINE RESEARCH and Checking the bike

KNOWN COMPONENTS ON MY BIKE ARE as below

I THINK IT IS a 1997 bike
RIMS Araya RM 25
26” wheels
HUBS Sansin ATB Sealed System
FR. DER ShimanoDeore
RR. DER ShimanoDeore SIS
SHIFTERS ShimanoDeore SIS
CRANKSET ShimanoBioPace 28/38/48
PEDALS MKS Grafightwith Toe Clips
FREEWHEEL Shimano14/17/21/26/32
BRAKES Suntour XCDLow Profile Roller Cantilever Brakes
SEATPOST Sugino SPKDfluted calibrated seat post
SADDLE Vetta Anatomic

The only bits that are not OEM as the grips, as the Cannondale foam ones were replaced about 10 years ago as they were well past their sell by date. I have cleaned up the bike quite a lot and may do a total refurbish on her and get her back looking as good as new, then of course I may just sell her. Any idea what the current value would be both as she is just now {I have cleaned up the brakes frame wheels and saddle} and then if I do a total refurbishment.

I LOVED the bike, and it is I think a 20" frame size as I wanted it for rough trail riding, not trying to kill myself on some MTB trail

Attachments

• IMG_5402 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5402 - Copy.JPG
    690.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5400.JPG
    IMG_5400.JPG
    647.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5398.JPG
    IMG_5398.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5397.JPG
    IMG_5397.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5396.JPG
    IMG_5396.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5394.JPG
    IMG_5394.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5387.JPG
    IMG_5387.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5349.JPG
    IMG_5349.JPG
    601.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5363.JPG
    IMG_5363.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 56
A really nice and still very original bike!

You´re correct with dating it to 1987, as evidenced by the frame number:

Value could be between 200 and 500 buckaroos. In my opinion you need to be patient to find the right buyer if you want to sell it closer to 500.
That website (where I have been before) does NOT recognise my frame number NOR does Cannondale UK who seem to be ONE not have records going back that far and TWO Too busy to look at my request for info on my bike as a priority item

MY DECODE of the 20032687051 frame number is

20 Frame Size 20"
032687 build date 26 March 1987
051 bike number 51 that day

BUT how do I know if it is a SM800 or a SM 600?

and if it is a Beast of the East??

Beautiful, definitely an 87 Sm600, and when your ready please do bear me in mind.

and if it is a Beast of the East??
BotE has been introduced as specific model or series a bit later.

Still some of the earlier SM model, so also yours, had also already a geometry with slightly higher bottom braket to cope with the obstacles at east cost trails (one could call it trial riding).

BTW: i do like this nice color variant, haven't seen this often.

There is a small hint in the 1987 catalog about the lavender variant
Cannondale SM600 lavender.png
I was told that this color was dedicated to road racing models earlier, but as there wasn't a lot of orders for the lime green SM700 they have offered an alternative color.

Last edited:
Beautiful, definitely an 87 Sm600, and when your ready please do bear me in mind.
Well I am seriously conflicted, do I strip it and do a total refurb and then do what? Sell her? OR just let her go 'now' to a dedicated Cannondale rider

SO ATM make me an offer that I cannot refuse and remember I am in Sunny Scotland quite close to Glasgow and I have no idea where you are so I have no idea if you can collect the bike or need it shipped to NIGERIA ;-)

Back