What's so special about Syncros

pinguwin":8svt9q85 said:
utahdog2003":8svt9q85 said:
the Steer-horns bar ends were dorky

Actually, in terms of comfort and function, I found the Steerhorns to be the best in the world.

There you go...spoiled for choice! :D I'd never mock their construction, but they always struck me as goofy. I wasn't much of a bar end guy though.

The alloy hardware for the Revolutions is sort of goofy too. I've been a Sugino bolt shavin' fool for 2 evenings putting together the hardware to replace the soft alloy stuff that came with the cranks. Thanks for that link, pinguwin. ;)

In the UK Syncros was stupidly expensive, I guess there was an importer middle man making quite a profit for himself.

I think BITD Answer provided better value, although I suspect even they were costly in UK compared to over the pond.

Prices BiTD (early 90's) from what I remember where also similar to how computer prices where back then.

Take the $US amount, say $100 then to get the £ version just switch the sign and add a random bit so that would be £114 for example.
Of course $100 was worth about £50 as well back then, similar to what we have been used to. (though today it just less than £70)

konahed":5oz4bxm8 said:
In the UK Syncros was stupidly expensive, I guess there was an importer middle man making quite a profit for himself.

I think BITD Answer provided better value, although I suspect even they were costly in UK compared to over the pond.

Answer stuff seemed to me as just overpriced Control Tech. Not that there was ever anything wrong with the original line of Control Tech stuff or Answer stuff either. Just that the ATAC stem was about 50% more expensive and essentially made the same way, welded aluminum with a press bonded quill, both made in the USA. Control Tech made the most sense between the two. I like both Control Tech and Answer stuff, just never considered either to be top-shelf. :D

Syncros

Heavy, poor design and made from very soft ally that soon looked tatty, bent loads of Seat posts, knackered steerers and what was with one ride only the stickers? There were far better brands out there at the time and at far less Shekel. Typical Brand selling its all in a name!

ededwards":mbngpovi said:
If you have to ask.....

Sounds like an 'Emperor's New Clothes' answer to me... :D

I have been told the same about Dotcom stocks, and Buy to Let properties in the past... ;)

Special... because in todays 'disposable component' culture there are still Syncros components that are 15+ years old still functioning the way they did when they were new . i.e. Well, with no bullshit factor.

hamster":1nqulk9i said:
ededwards":1nqulk9i said:
If you have to ask.....

Sounds like an 'Emperor's New Clothes' answer to me... :D

I have been told the same about Dotcom stocks, and Buy to Let properties in the past... ;)

Ok, I'll elaborate. Thomson is not termed "new Syncros" for nothing. Some good points above re. value compared to Control Tech and also Syncros losing their way (as many 'names' from BITD did). And as for trading on their name and being no good? Complete load of nonsense. Although they were a premium price BITD.

If being critical Syncros cranks were probably not the most reliable but the stems and post were well made and, perhaps most importantly, good looking.

[Posted as I was composing this, well said SteveP]

SteveP":3doqqol9 said:
Special... because in todays 'disposable component' culture there are still Syncros components that are 15+ years old still functioning the way they did when they were new . i.e. Well, with no bullshit factor.

Sounds fair enough.

"Fashion fades, only style remains" Coco Chanel

Back