Just Picked Up This 1987-ish Ritchey Timber Comp

Sierra7

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I just picked up what is likely a 1987 Ritchey Timber Comp (serial no. 0B581) off the Bay. Unfortunately the paint is pretty trashed and there are no original decals (were the original decals under a clear coat? If so, I guess it's a respray.) I'm 99% sure I am going to repaint it since it looks like crap. I also want to determine it's exact year so I can put back all of the original parts. Judging by the 1987 Timber Comp review by Mountain Bike Action (here) this bike still has some original parts, such as the Specialized crankset, but I it appears the wheelset, front and rear derailleurs, front and rear brakes, headset, and possibly the stem have all been replaced. The stem will be toughest to find I think.

IMG_8127.jpeg

Any opinions on the paint? Does it look like a stock color? How about opinons on the Shimano bits...they are of a slightly later era, no?

Thanks for any advice/opinions/etc. I want this to be period correct but it will likely just be a riding around town bike for me, with maybe the occasional dirt excursion.

Thanks for the replies. I did a little investigating after I posted. The date codes on the front and rear derailleurs indicate May and June of 1987, so I'm betting these are original. Good idea about pulling the fork.

I agree about it being one of the all time great vintage mtbs. I've been wanting one for a long time. I will take it on some trails for sure.

1984-1989
Ritchey Timber Comp (serial no. 0B581)

0 = 20" frame
B = Timber Comp frame has rear roller cam brake
581 = 581st 20" B frame built

Thanks DesertRyder, I have the same data. Here's the original builds:

1986 Ritchey

1987 Ritchey

Prodigal Son: those paint jobs were on other models, such as the Super Comp I believe. The Timber Comp only came in solid colors, so I'll likely go that way.

Cheers.

Back