What state is retro biking in at the moment?

Re: Re:

Wold Ranger":3iynelcv said:
There has been a steady decline in retro traffic (MTB) on here for 3 years, for a variety of reasons IMHO.
Less money around, the big fans have acquired what they fancy, people getting older! The climate is getting much wetter, so MTB is not much fun and spending a fortune on a stunning retro steed, to have it wrecked on muddy rides, doesn't appeal.
This latter reason, is born out by a friend who owns a large independent bike outlet. He recently commented along the lines of this thread:-
10-20 years ago, Mtb's out sold road bikes twenty to one, but now folks are sick of cleaning bikes and the road dries out fast, unlike a trail, he now sells 11 road bikes to one MTB, which reflects a lot of the issues, coupled with the success of Team GB- cycling road has pretty much wiped out MTB.
Over the same past 3 years, the road section on here, has become much more active.

And the price of retro steeds seem to have sky rocketed, 18 months ago I bought a raleigh 531 quadra for about £100, now similar bikes are in the £250 price bracket.

Carl

legrandefromage":auhppuui said:
The slut bike is now a Marin FRS.

This one ?

No idea who the devilishly handsome chap is :?

Attachments

• Marin Quake 9 Out & About 004 (Custom).JPG
    Marin Quake 9 Out & About 004 (Custom).JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 279
I'm hardly ever riding retro anymore except for events. My Cotic BfE is the only thing that ever gets ridden offroad right now. It's THAT good.

Re: Re:

Wold Ranger":2bm8tqei said:
There has been a steady decline in retro traffic (MTB) on here for 3 years, for a variety of reasons IMHO.
Less money around, the big fans have acquired what they fancy, people getting older! The climate is getting much wetter, so MTB is not much fun and spending a fortune on a stunning retro steed, to have it wrecked on muddy rides, doesn't appeal.
This latter reason, is born out by a friend who owns a large independent bike outlet. He recently commented along the lines of this thread:-
10-20 years ago, Mtb's out sold road bikes twenty to one, but now folks are sick of cleaning bikes and the road dries out fast, unlike a trail, he now sells 11 road bikes to one MTB, which reflects a lot of the issues, coupled with the success of Team GB- cycling road has pretty much wiped out MTB.
Over the same past 3 years, the road section on here, has become much more active.

Yep, back in the some of the more boutique parts weren't exactly known for reliability - never mind 20 years on. A friend used to have a Pace with a huge number of tricked out parts. I remember the first day he turned up with wheels with 28 spokes. We all laughed and said they'd never work. Sure enough an encounter with a tree root later that day split the rim. Now, of course, I've recently acquired a 28 spoke rear wheel from a heavy mate, and the thing is built like a rock.

MTB prices have also rocketed over the last five years. I swear the kind of specced bike you used to get for about £700, now goes for closer to £1500 - and the magazines position that as the new norm. Plus the explosion in standards like wheel sizes probably hasn't helped.

I do think these things go in circles though. After all, road bikes were practically impossible to find in bike shops for much of the 90s.

Back