What modern rims take a tube (easily)

It's not of those baked bean can sized ones is it ... ?

223593_Mini_air_compressor.jpg

WD :D

Re:

I'm not sure until I go and collect. He says he has 2, so I'll obviously pick the best one :D

If it is one of those, don't bother as you will just piss yourself off even more ... :-(

Look for something body shop style i.e. with a good size accumulator / tank.

I was very lucky and picked up a new medical compressor up from work :

But you could get away with something considerably smaller - the one above would do multiple bike tires on one charge no problem.

Like I said above, I reckon a large pump up spray bottle 'could' work, defo better than those mini compressors anyway ...

Try Co2, it did my first set no probs, just make sure you have no valve core in acting as a flow reducer / restrictor ;-)

WD :D

Re:

Well, 2 steps forward and one back.
I managed to get the rear tyre to seal today.
I fitted a tube and got the tyre to 'pop' onto the rim and then removed the tube.
This left one side sealed and allowed me to add some fluid then inflate using the pump at the garage.
I then noticed fluid pissing out of a 4mm slit in the sidewall.
So, I've wasted hours of time, half a bottle of fluid and I'm back to having to put a tube in.
The tyre has only had a few miles through it so I despise the thought of binning it for such a small defect.
These are the type of tyre knicks I pick up on a regular basis, so I may have to ditch the tubless idea if it cant deal with this kind of puncture.
The front has held a treat though!

Y'all seem to be making a bit of a faff of this tubeless thing.

I've never used anything more than a track pump to seat and inflate tubeless tyres. Never removed a valve core either.

Re: Re:

makster":2ej65gv8 said:
I then noticed fluid pissing out of a 4mm slit in the sidewall.

These are the type of tyre knicks I pick up on a regular basis, so I may have to ditch the tubless idea if it cant deal with this kind of puncture.
what sort of crappy fluid are you using? 4mm is well within the limits of any of the decent ones if properly installed. It's either that or you are guessing at 4mm, or do you have 50psi in there?

An anchovy will help if you can't get it to seal.
Most of my tubeless tyres are the lightest or second lightest version in the range. And I have no problems with sealing.

Re:

I'm using the Stans stuff.
I think the issue is that the slit is in the sidewall, so it flexes a lot when adding air

If the fluid is well shaken, popping a finger or piece of tape over the hole for a minute or two will help it to seal.
Falling that, get some anchovies and help it along.

BTW. you did clean the tyre first? Some have loads of release agent all over them. Doesn't make life easy.

Re:

Got the bugger to seal at last!
I put a scab on the sidewall slash then had to do the same to another small one within the tread.
I'll be riding on them tonight, so will see if it holds up ok.

Back