What freehub is this?

trailstar82

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hello Roadies, Is this a campag freehub?

I need to service these lovely tunes before I put them on my mongrel road build. Whilst I’m replacing bearings I’d also like to get the drivetrain sorted.

70BC621E-8B07-465D-8C1A-C029E34BFCC5.jpeg
3098D0C5-F28B-4215-95E3-9E2AE5A21497.jpeg
23D73FC2-78E4-4391-BD61-E6D2DA9D971C.jpeg

it looks like it yes - not the standard campag pattern but some were made like this to reduce weight or whatever. If it's not shimano then it's campag, there are vitrually no other options anyway

I think we have some replacement tune freehub bodies at work if you get stuck. They're not cheap though. 😬
That said, you shouldn't need to replace it unless you're swapping to shimano.

Thanks chaps, once I get into the guts of this I’ll know a bit more on condition. Hopefully it’s just a degrease and bearing replacement.

Campagnolo sprockets have either 4 or 8 mounting tabs. While not a hard and fast rule, alloy Campagnolo pattern bodies usually have 8 notches, while steel ones often have 4 or 5 notches interspaced with relieved sections to accept the additional tabs.
Last night a mate picked me up on some of the above - a more detailed review can be found here.

Last edited:
And sometimes I get caught out. Wanted a wheel for use on a turbo trainer - 32 h with a Campagnolo-style freehub so I can run an old Campag cassette and use a spare rim I've got knocking around. Couldn't find a cheap hub then found a used 9-speed wheel for less than what people were asking for hubs.
Except there was a reason for it being cheap - now I've got it, it's not 9-speed, it's 8. On the off-chance I tried a spare 9-speed body and as I expected, it won't fit into the hub.

Latest posts

Back