What brake levers should get?

Those STX levers wont work very well with cantilevers.

They were NOT designed to ever be used with them

The 'adjustment' is just to trim some of the aggression out of the v-brake.

But hey, its the internet and anything goes these days!

Shimano's low profile cantilever brakes were not very good unless time and patience were used (and who had any of that aged 19??) giving the then new v-brake the chance to send everyone over the handlebars.

These and some Avids were / are possibly the only ever multi use levers. They adjust the cable pull.

View attachment 565632
These are very cool

I've got my eye on some nice non Shimano cantis which is why I'm not too fussed about the levers being STX, plus it's getting harder to find complete old school groupsets these days, I'm not too fussed about the complete consistency as it's not a higher end model, I'd be inclined to do that if it were an old Kili or something.
Just a well built, no frills steel Saracen albeit in a very nice colour that I plan to get suitably old school looking.
This thing is going to be ridden. I might even fit some suspension forks on it in the future if that's possible with this frame.

Yes!!! I like those, how much would you like for the lot?

The lot? the hangers are long gone im afraid, still have the levers, shifters and gt qr.

I assume you are just after the levers and shifters? Levers £10 plus postage, which is about £4.20-ish, the shifters i will throw in for free if you want them.

The lot? the hangers are long gone im afraid, still have the levers, shifters and gt qr.

I assume you are just after the levers and shifters? Levers £10 plus postage, which is about £4.20-ish, the shifters i will throw in for free if you want them.
That's brilliant, yes to that please, let me know where or how to pay and I will get on to it in a bit.
Thanks

As a side not, those particular style of brake levers a designed to mate up to SRT style GripShift.
Often found on 1995 Marins*.

Nice levers in action by the way.
They have a similar servowave (or Power Control or Power Cam? here) to Shimano XT and XTR of that era.

* except. The 'n' version came a few years later as the offset the bracket a bit more.

As a side not, those particular style of brake levers a designed to mate up to SRT style GripShift.
Often found on 1995 Marins*.

Nice levers in action by the way.
They have a similar servowave (or Power Control or Power Cam? here) to Shimano XT and XTR of that era.

* except. The 'n' version came a few years later as the offset the bracket a bit more.

Which ones again sorry?

Which ones again sorry?
the ones just above it that from @mk one that say Dia-Compe Power Control 7n on them ;-)
The ones your are buying.
Have fun, the shifter are STC-RC so good levers (in my opinion better that the M900 XTR shifter of the previous years)
and if you the want the fibrax cable hanger you can still buy them new.

@2manyoranges actually I was wrong the 1995 had the none n style ones (helps that my old man still has his old BV-SE bike hung up) and so didn't have the gripshift panel, the offset was the gripshift compatibility. Unless anyone knows any better. So they will stick out quite a bit from the bar.

Back