What bike recommendations

Saw a girl wheeling a traditional ladies bike, complete with basket on the front, out of my LBS. She told me it had been her mum's and she had now taken it on and had just had it serviced, it looked great and VERY retro.

You might be able to find something similar if you have any re-cycling charity workshops in the area. They are springing up all over the place, and the one I have visited in Gloucester has quite a good stock of donated and recovered bikes, all serviced and ready to go. plus, there is always Gumtree.

I asked my son about whether she wanted a ladies type/step through and he came back later with "man's frame, she's not from the '30's". I think style matters and a ladies bike looks too old lady.

Alison

I understand, I had the same thing many Christmases ago with my daughter; a salesman pulled a pink girls mtb from the display, my daughter took one look and spat out "I'm not riding ... THAT!"... we left the shop and found her a nice purple and black Townsend, or Falcon or something somewhere else.

I'm with the others then, a nice late 90's early 2000's mtb with slicks. Too retro and it becomes desirable, too new and the same thing.

I'd still take a look for a re-cycle centre though.

Just an update, I asked my son's girlfriend if she had finally bought a bike, after all my advise and others advice passed on, she went and bought a Pendleton hybrid from halfrauds, broke in 4 weeks of ownership, she could have had such a nice bit o retro for the money she waisted in there :roll:

Alison

Alison":2j3ck6f3 said:
Just an update, I asked my son's girlfriend if she had finally bought a bike, after all my advise and others advice passed on, she went and bought a Pendleton hybrid from halfrauds, broke in 4 weeks of ownership, she could have had such a nice bit o retro for the money she waisted in there :roll:

Alison

the youth of today...always know best :facepalm:

she couldve at least bought a carrera, best of a bad bunch

The History Man":1y17fj2k said:
Love is.................

Good to see you and neil in action at the honc

And i would spend £100 on a bike and £300 on bike locks if you are going to leave it in leeds city center

Well that was then, this is now. If I do the first half it will be a f*cking miracle!

The History Man":35fi631k said:
Well that was then, this is now. If I do the first half it will be a f*cking miracle!

you look very poker faced in the picture, and i can only see one of neils hands :shock: :shock:

The History Man":3n7odpb0 said:

So no change there then.

Matt, the whereabouts of my left hand are none of your concern.

Back