went semi ghetto tubeless tonight

lewis1641":bwzv52mq said:
Khane":bwzv52mq said:
ive got all the guff to go ghetto tubeless just need an air compressor, to get the things inflated :/

go to a petrol station. be sure to use a compressor that has an old fashioned type guage though - they pump constantly till you get to the required pressure. tho modern digital ones pulse the air in for some reason - not good as it keeps escaping when the compressor pauses.

exactly why i've not got it sorted yet lol
all the air compressors around here are those crappy digital ones :x

I am going to do my klein at the weekend :shock: and then I am going to go ghetto tubeless :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: should save about 370grams :cool: :cool: :cool:

i didnt really consider the wieght savings, just really want to stop thorns ruining my ride

marin man":15ufs8dl said:
I am going to do my klein at the weekend :shock: and then I am going to go ghetto tubeless :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: should save about 370grams :cool: :cool: :cool:

You've got my attention... what's all this ghetto stuff

What's needed

370g though, inner tubes are what 150g so what 250g excl. the valves.

How much does the sealant/tape whatever else is needed weigh ?

basically use not tubeless rims and tyres without a tube.

gaffer tape over the spoke holes, tape in a valve head (or better still bolt in), drop in a cap full of sealant (i'll try and weigh it tonight for you) pump up with a compressor.

even an idiot from brigg can mamage it

FluffyChicken":3asmbwx0 said:
marin man":3asmbwx0 said:

What's needed

almost there mate 220grams for the average tube ;)

what you do is if you dont have tubless ready rims is

1. build up the bed of your rim with eleccy tape by going and round about 4/5 times fit your normal rim tape back on.

2. them take a 20" bmx tube and pump it up til its big enought to fit onto your 26" mtb rim ;) once its fits on put the valve in the hole and let it down a LITTLE BIT so its tight ish.

3. take a stanley knife and slice round the tube so it flops over each side of the rim half on each side

4. fit one half of the tyre (it should be really tight and need a lever or three to fit)

5. put in the recomomended amount of sealant as per label blah blah blah

6. fit the other side of the tyre working from the bottom up so you dont get sealant every where :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

7. get compresser and go go go go go go go go until it up then spin wheel and it should seal really quickly if not start again with the go go go go go go go

8.trim round the edges of the flopping out of the side inner tube to make it look neat and done

makes sence to you i hope :cool:

cannondale king":2jyhlnct said:
FluffyChicken":2jyhlnct said:
marin man":2jyhlnct said:

What's needed

almost there mate 220grams for the average tube ;) ...

What tubes do you buy :shock:
Mine are el-cheapo's and max 150g.

You know about modeen rims.

Mavic XC717 ? (rim brake one's)

Andy B":2ws1b74m said:
almost any rim can be ghetto'd IIRC

20" BMX tube, preferable with a threaded valve. Schwalbe ones work well

Ghetto how to guide here: http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

If you're using half a BMX tube then doesn't really seem to be much weight saving. BMX tend to be thicker iirc, so half a tube will probably be about or not much lighter than a 150g 26" one.
Add to that the sealent...
But i'll have a look in to it.
How easy is changing tyres ?

FluffyChicken":3a6hasdo said:
Andy B":3a6hasdo said:
almost any rim can be ghetto'd IIRC

20" BMX tube, preferable with a threaded valve. Schwalbe ones work well

Ghetto how to guide here: http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

If you're using half a BMX tube then doesn't really seem to be much weight saving. BMX tend to be thicker iirc, so half a tube will probably be about or not much lighter than a 150g 26" one.
Add to that the sealent...
But i'll have a look in to it.
How easy is changing tyres ?

no honestly a normal butale rubber tube in 26" 1.75-2.25 standard weighs 220 grams average no sh1t been in the trade long enough to know that they only weight 150 grams or less if they are latex or silly thin and the schwalbe 20" tubes were on about arn't any thicker than a standard tube and as you chop most of it off it saves weight on a pair of wheels and becomes easier to deal with thorn puntures as you just pull the thorn out and spin the wheel

any wheel with in reason can be made tubeless the ghetto way as well but if the rim is a pig to build up you can use ust tyres to kind of garuntee a fit as they are desighed to be tight :D

Back