went semi ghetto tubeless tonight

cannondale king":3w1wsby9 said:
FluffyChicken":3w1wsby9 said:
Andy B":3w1wsby9 said:
almost any rim can be ghetto'd IIRC

20" BMX tube, preferable with a threaded valve. Schwalbe ones work well

Ghetto how to guide here: http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

If you're using half a BMX tube then doesn't really seem to be much weight saving. BMX tend to be thicker iirc, so half a tube will probably be about or not much lighter than a 150g 26" one.
Add to that the sealent...
But i'll have a look in to it.
How easy is changing tyres ?

no honestly a normal butale rubber tube in 26" 1.75-2.25 standard weighs 220 grams no sh1t been in the trade long enough to know that they only weight 150 grams if they are latex or silly thin and the schwalbe 20" tubes were on about arn't any thicker than a standard tube and as you chop most of it off it saves weight on a pair of wheels and becomes easier to deal with thorn puntures as you just pull the thorn out and spin the wheel

any wheel with in reason can be made tubeless the ghetto way as well but if the rim is a pig to build up you can use ust tyres to kind of garuntee a fit as they are desighed to be tight :D

I weigh my tubes, I know how much they weigh ;)

Even grab my old mans spare and it was 150g (Panaracer an Unknown brand etc..) and he just buys them from the local shop.
The heaviest I've had are some thick Airwave something or others for the sort of thing I'd put in a pub bike.
Why would you buy a 250g inner tube for a riding bike (other than to save a quid ?)
Anyway that another story.

One thing to add to Dans explanation up there that he's forgot. Blow the tyre up before you insert the sealant to pop the bead on the rim. Otherwise it's bring out the gimp time!

Average Mark":21buoorm said:
One thing to add to Dans explanation up there that he's forgot. Blow the tyre up before you insert the sealant to pop the bead on the rim. Otherwise it's bring out the gimp time!

you bastard i wanted people to try it and get all white and sticky :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i didn't do that but was ok first time on both ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My rims are tubeless anyway and so are my tyres ;) I only have the sealant to weigh and that = nothing :D so My inner tubes at the mo weigh 148 grams and they are ritchey lights as well so about 260 gram saving :shock: I will not need the 20 inch tube or the tape etc :D :cool: excellent :cool:

cannondale king":3jo21g4f said:
Average Mark":3jo21g4f said:

you bastard i wanted people to try it and get all white and sticky :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i didn't do that but was ok first time on both ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

or you just use a tool to remove the valve bit in the middle and put the sealant with a seringe .

Thats the way i done it chris. But still needed to get the tyre seated on mine before the sealant went in otherwise it would of just sprayed out of the gaps.

back up for this topic .

tried to to go ghetto tubeless today and bit of an issue .

got schawlbe tubes , and no tubes sealant on mavic crossrides with conti Mountain king tyres .

fitted the tubes easily and the tyres no problem . took the wheel to the garage and inflated them .

my issue is that the tyres dont sit properly where the valves is as there is not enough space . the extra rubber where the valve is attached to the tube pushes the tyres out .

on my way back from the garage I let some air out of the tyres to put the sealant in ,and straight away , the tyres leaked air where the valve is .

any tips ?

and another thing , when putting air for the first time , do you have to wait for the 3 bangs ?

I had to hold the tyre in place at the valve but stopped when tyres were hard enough , didi not wait for the bangs .

Did this happen twice..... :LOL: :LOL: double poster :LOL:

I had a similar problem last night with tubes and bontrager tubeless tyres :roll: the inflation process pushed the tyre off the wheel near the valve:roll: anyway the way I got round it was to push the valve into the tyre and then seat it and reinflate before screwing the presta threaded retainer on,may help you out but if not :?

Latest posts

Back