lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Been reading up about tubeless wheels and decided that it's not the devils work and could be worth a try. After a recent evening bimble where i collected 3 punctured from thorns and didn't have my pump i decided to take the plunge.

I thought i'd start on my mavic crossland wheels as they are actually tubeless so i don't need to worry about the rims. I was a little unsure what to do about the valve. I hate presta with a passion so went with schraeder. Having thought about it though i should have gone presta as they have the lock rings to hold them tight against the rim. Never mind.

So i broke out the duct tape and sealed the valve in. Next i mounted the tyre 90 percent on the rim. The wheel was secured on the washing line with pegs on the spokes . Poured in more than the correct amount of stans sealant and pulled the non tubeless tyre to try and seal it against the rim. My pump wouldn't put enough air in so i dropped 20p in the tesco compressor. Sadly digital compressors seem to need some back pressure to work against hence they have a 'flat tyre' button. This puts blasts of air in the tyre in a pulse. The problem with this is the time between the pulses is long enough to let the bhp escape.

A bit annoyed i threw the wheel in the back of the truck to the other garage in town which has an old type compressor. 50p for this one but it blasted the air in enough to get 3 positive bangs as the bead seated properly against the rim. I put an indicated 60psi in and shook the rim to try and get the sealant all the way around the tyre/rim join.

Left it a few hours and the tyre is still rock hard. Thought i'd let some pressure out (in the living room) and a load of sealant came out at high pressure! Going to leave it till the morning in the hope it settles away from the valve.

All that's left is to wait and see. Really hoping it lives up to the high expectations i have from andyr's experiences. Time will tell.

I went tubeless with my Crosslands last week, pretty easy, but I did have the proper UST tyres. they popped onto the bead quite quickly with a track pump & no soapy water, still holding pressure a week later :shock:

Hope yours stay up as well as mine have so far!

Ghetto tubeless on my mavic 719 rims. Saved me no end of punctures! and ran fine since March. Also to en-dear themselves to me further 10 mins into tonights ride i picked up a 4mm flint cut throught the rear tyre that although it sealed, managed to spray quite a bit of sealant all over Dan (cannondaleking) and his brand new bike who was riding behind me! i think he took it in good humour.

lewis1641":od7yy109 said:
Having thought about it though i should have gone presta as they have the lock rings to hold them tight against the rim. Never mind.

All that's left is to wait and see. Really hoping it lives up to the high expectations i have from andyr's experiences. Time will tell.

If you want to use Schraeder valves then use Schwalbe tubes/valves, as they have fully threaded stems with lock rings ;) .

In my (limited) experience - if you can get the tyre to seal in the first place and hold pressure then they'll be fine in use. I'd recommend using no more than 30 psi (I'm using about 25). The only time that I've lost an appreciable amount of air was the last time that I was out, when I "burped" some air from the rear tyre on the Hummingbird, on a rock step.
It wasn't completely flat though and I just topped it up with a pump - if I hadn't beeen running tubeless I'd probably have had a pinch puncture to repair....

Only good experience with UST myself.

Just back from some serious 60kph descents down rock gardens and dried-up river bed type of stuff in South of France, with the same tyres and sealant as last year, and no punctures.

Still to try Ghetto - but I think it depends on the terrain you're going to use it on.

ive got all the guff to go ghetto tubeless just need an air compressor, to get the things inflated :/

Khane":3g3uxvkx said:
ive got all the guff to go ghetto tubeless just need an air compressor, to get the things inflated :/

go to a petrol station. be sure to use a compressor that has an old fashioned type guage though - they pump constantly till you get to the required pressure. tho modern digital ones pulse the air in for some reason - not good as it keeps escaping when the compressor pauses.

Back