Tubeless noob help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've not found the tubeless tyres an easy transition, in all honesty I don't see what's so good about them, much more hassle than a tyre and tube.

However, not wanting to be left in the dark ages, I do have a couple of bikes sporting tubeless, and probably could convert others.

My current situation is that the tubeless set ups I have came with the bikes/wheels. I've not ridden much and as a result, same as with tubes, the tyres have lost air. With tubes, more air added and jobs a goodun. Is it the same for tubeless? I haven't tried just adding more air, expecting it is that simple, just wanted to check before I end up in a mess of sealant.

Thanks

Sealant does dry and need topped up. Pump tyres up off the bike and give a shake. If you can hear it slosh then that’s fine. Issue can be that sealants don’t all play well together and you really need to top up with the same one.
To be honest if it’s a big load of bikes you ride once or twice a year, I wouldn’t bother.
I’m a big tubeless fan but not convinced the benefits outweigh the hassle in your case.

Thanks, will be getting the bikes summer ready so will see if they hold air or if new sealant is needed. I've invested in some co2 cannisters and pump so can hopefully get them sorted.

If not, tubes will be the way forward but I'm sure it won't come to that.

I’ve never found it a problem. Always use valves with a removable core so you can put sealant in through the valve rather than having to unseat the tyres. Deflate tyre, remove core, top up sealant, replace core, inflate tyre, ride.

I think a lot of people gave up on tubeless a long time ago when ‘ghetto’ systems were all the rage and hideously unreliable. The tech has moved on somewhat.

Back