Well off topic ;) Mp's Expenses

Russell":2qlgjlat said:
People in this country seem to enjoy bending over for the boss and then moaning about it. What about taking some bloody action for a change. We could start by actually using our vote!

Voter turnout at the general elections in 2001/2005 averaged at 60%, thats the lowest turnout since 1945! Labour won the last election with 35% of the vote, which in real terms represents just 22% of the population. That means that this country is currently governed by a political party that was brought to power despite 78% of the population either not wanting them in power or not being arsed who runs the country. Is it any surprise that MPs are acting in this way, the public clearly doesn't give a toss any more, if they did, they'd vote.

If people want politicians that are accountable and that represent the public/countries interests rather than their own then they should get out there, learn about their politicians, question their integrity and the issues that are important to them and then get off their arses and vote accordingly.

MPs expenses are an important issue as is defense spending et al, but as far as I'm concerned, the braying masses who can't be arsed to vote have no right to complain.

Essentially yer dead right fella; people seem to assume democracy's all about 'rights' -and disregard it's imperative of Responsibility..
The 'expenses' fiasco is bad enough, sure.. but if only people gave an equivalent shite about our abhorrent foreign policy and defence-priorities,
-rather than just the things that effect themselves...

braying masses who can't be arsed to vote have no right to complain.

+1 for this.

If you don't like the major parties then vote for one of the smaller ones. They probably won't win but then the other parties won't have your vote. Then you can complain until the cows come home about how the current government has screwed up the country.

This is what's known as a protest vote, and this is how I've voted since '88, when I could vote. ;)

Back