Weinmann centre pulls and flat bar levers

Jiveman60

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone know if the old style Weinmann flat bar levers operated the weinman centre pulls?
Converting a Ken Bird drop bar mixte to flat bar.
Got everything except the levers and I'd like to stay period.

Excellent choice, according to Weinmann themselves in their September 1962 "Mitteilungen".

The short bit of lever travel "A" is enough for maximum effectiveness of your Weinmann centerpull brakes. "B" is just there for safety.

Page 03b.jpg

Like these ? Should be fine .
View attachment 809727

Bebo copy - or the Wienmann were actually made by Bebolux in Mandeure in the Doubs region France. Was a big supplier to Peugeot from the late 40s, but eventually went bust because they couldn't buy AL at a low enough price to survive. They are short pull, will work with Mafac centre pull (note the red accents) etc. perfectly. Perhaps Wienmann bought the design and tooling? They look so too much alike for coincidence.

You are very welcome to call me a wine drinking can't stand-up properly Eurobike snob as always. :p

1704760992930.png

Bebo copy - or the Wienmann were actually made by Bebolux in Mandeure in the Doubs region France. Was a big supplier to Peugeot from the late 40s, but eventually went bust because they couldn't buy AL at a low enough price to survive. They are short pull, will work with Mafac centre pull (note the red accents) etc. perfectly. Perhaps Wienmann bought the design and tooling? They look so too much alike for coincidence.

You are very welcome to call me a wine drinking can't stand-up properly Eurobike snob as always. :p

View attachment 809743
The ones I posted are made by Dia Compe , I always assumed that Dia Compe were the source of the Weinmann brake products either directly or indirectly . With the emphasis on assumed . They are exactly the same as the Bebo though soo , every day a school day . Thanks wine drinking Eurobike snob . :)

The Mafac Ville levers are a far better more solid construction and uses normal pear shaped road cables, unlike the Bebo and presumably the Wienmann that use "MTB" cables with no cable pivot.

1704763098882.jpeg

The ones I posted are made by Dia Compe , I always assumed that Dia Compe were the source of the Weinmann brake products either directly or indirectly . With the emphasis on assumed . They are exactly the same as the Bebo though soo , every day a school day . Thanks wine drinking Eurobike snob . :)

In fairness, I think you could be right too - it's a murky past out there. I think it's safe to say the Japanese copied a lot of French early work.

Weinmann I guess wouldn't hesitate to buy things over from the border from anyone except Mafac. I did find a picture of the old Bebolux factory, and will dig a bit more. From memory they produced umpteen millions of brake sets, but a name now lost amongst many.

My Carlton has Weinmann centre pulls and flat bars with the original Weinmann levers and work fine, as well as I would expect 50 year old brakes to work.

IMG_3379 - Copy.JPG

Couldn't be any worse than how I got the bike with flattened out drop bar levers anyway.

IMG_2798 - Copy.JPG

Latest posts

Back