wearing team jerseys- retro cool vrs all the gear no idea vrs just a bit naff

I agree with the above, leader & champ jerseys are best left to the real racers.
For the road I’ve got a selection of whiskey and Yorkshire branded tops, whereas off road I’ve got 90’s Claud Butler & Pace kit. Although the Butler stuff occasionally inspires passers by to shout “get that bus out Butler” 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 588060
Interesting take on champ jerseys. I never knew such a thing existed or that anyone had an opinion about wearing them. Biking is hot in the USA but for enthusiasts it’s almost all high dollar mountain bikes. It’s ridiculous what they cost as there is minimal technology or materials in a bicycle. in September I bought a new Honda Rancher 405 cc ATV for 2/3 of what a mid range mountain bike costs. I got a battery, transmission, charging system, lights, suspension, shaft drive, 4 huge tires, luggage racks, liqiid cooling, computer chips and fuel injection. I refuse to buy these expensive planed obsolescence beasts, I build my own from new pieces that are a year or two out of the current fad. I can usually find new wheels for less than the hoops cost. Roadies, fixies and vintage bikes are not much in demand. No one would have a clue what a champ jersey is including me and I ride more road distance than almost anyone I know. There are several 1200 mile group tours around the Upper Peninsula each summer but I’m not up to that. I can ride one 100 + mile stage for these events, but that’s it, I would need several days rest to lick my wounds and never do them back to back. Several of my riding friends do them, but they wear mountain bike stuff. Some mountain bikers watch the tour de farce but roadies are a dying breed In most places here. There are hot spots for road bikes (California, cities, Asheville, NC to name a few) but by enlarge it’s a culture of new mountain bikes here. It’s a shame almost no one even knows what a klunker is, that’s not high dollar elite off road stuff so no one is even interested in it. I mountain bike and gravel race klunkers exclusively and no one even notices them, their just another bicycle. As far as my pink giro jersey, all I get is what’s a giro. In fact I don’t know what a pink giro jersey stands for. I always thought it was the official giro color as posters and advertising I’ve seen tend to be pink. I got my giro jersey at a thrift shop and it looked new. Is this some kind of leader or winner jersey? I like it because it’s all iron ore dirt/clay here and the pink stains never come out of anything you care about. We call it the red earth. It took iron miners 4 years after retirement for the wash cloth, after a shower, to not have pink stains on it. Fine penetrating pink dust that blends well with pink, dark brown or red jerseys. So I have no qualms about my pink jersey. I’ve been told it’s gay, but I don’t care, never did, never will. But due to the heads up I’ll leave it behind on my next cycling trip to the UK. Or maybe not, I hate most all the political correct sanctions. My sister told me Wales is more beautiful for road cycling than the Mediterranean islands. It’s her favorite so I want to do it. I’m off my soap box now.

Last edited:
A friend of mine got told off in no uncertain way because he was wearing a World Champions jersey underneath another layer at a cyclo-cross in Belgium. (It was one of Tommy Simpsons old ones BTW) Sur le continent they are much more aware of the significance of what the jerseys stand for and the effort it takes to win one. Even having the WC bands on neck and sleeves can be a no-no. In the late 60's WC jerseys could be bought over the counter over here and several guys I knew of wore them to race TT's in. I doubt if it would go down well these days though.

I wear old trade tops in the warm weather when I'm riding retro. They tend to be bright colours which I like and often collect interesting comments at the cafe from those 'of a certain age' who remember them BITD. 'Newbie' riders ignore them 'cos they ain't Black.

@Nabeaquam

didn't know you were US based, so not knowing the european races is understandable, like i said it's all personal preference, here those jerseys have a certain amount of reverence so for people here to wear them is sort of a bit rude, if in the US it's just seen as any old pink jersey then i'd say it doesn't matter

A friend of mine got told off in no uncertain way because he was wearing a World Champions jersey underneath another layer at a cyclo-cross in Belgium. (It was one of Tommy Simpsons old ones BTW) Sur le continent they are much more aware of the significance of what the jerseys stand for and the effort it takes to win one. Even having the WC bands on neck and sleeves can be a no-no. In the late 60's WC jerseys could be bought over the counter over here and several guys I knew of wore them to race TT's in. I doubt if it would go down well these days though.

I wear old trade tops in the warm weather when I'm riding retro. They tend to be bright colours which I like and often collect interesting comments at the cafe from those 'of a certain age' who remember them BITD. 'Newbie' riders ignore them 'cos they ain't Black.
I could wear all the world champion bike uniforms here to a road race and no American would even know what it was or if they did they wouldn’t care. I can understand the feeling though. Over 20 years ago my son was on the USA Ski Jumping A team. You could then buy the entire uniform, including the boots, from the US Ski and Snowboard Association. It was popular among high school jumpers that weren’t on the team, even though it was thin, chinchy and expensive. It made the cold come in, instead of keeping it out. I didn’t much care for it being sold to anyone but my son said that ski jumping in the USA is such a nowhere sport and that since the team was run on a shoestring with no sponsorship that the revenue from uniform sales was welcome. The USSA even advertised uniform sales as a means to show support for the team. I still didn’t like it that anyone could buy the team uniform that only 4 had earned, but I understood the revenue generating necessity and kept my mouth shut. I’m sure that revenue is generated back to the event if the cycling jersey is a copy so I think it’s weak and shallow to be such an elitist that you have to give someone a hard time for wearing something that the event organizers clearly want out there for advertising and revenue to support the event. Who should care if the organizers sell the right to reproduce the jersey to generate revenue for the events. In fact wearing one is a tribute to the winners. When my son retired from jumping he gave his uniforms away, they didn’t mean anything to anyone. I threw his team snow boots away this week after I found them stored with our winter stuff. He was the only USA jumper to win a major event in Europe and he would get a kick out of seeing any part of the uniform still being worn by anyone. Who cares about how some jerk feels that never made it as a champ. How do the winners that earned the jerseys feel? Are they insulted, glad for the revenue or do they enjoy seeing it worn as a tribute? Such jerks.

It's a given that you don't wear the world champs rainbow bands, but amongst my mates, the TdF or Giro jerseys are ok. And I've never seen a national championship jersey for sale.

I have to confess I got close to buying a green TdF jersey after Cavs performance last year to show support and respect to a rider I much admire

It's a given that you don't wear the world champs rainbow bands, but amongst my mates, the TdF or Giro jerseys are ok. And I've never seen a national championship jersey for sale.

I have to confess I got close to buying a green TdF jersey after Cavs performance last year to show support and respect to a rider I much admire
Right on man. It’s all about respect, adoration and support. You have to be an idiot to think I’m equal because I wear a jersey. It’s a non issue here so it’s something I really don’t get and am a little appalled at. World cycling champ rainbow bands would be ok here, no one has a clue what they are, including me. All we care about is American Football, which doesn’t even register on world telly viewership, we’re that insulated. I guess the red neck attitude is alive and well beyond the USA. I’m defiantly a red neck because I can’t accept others attitude on this issue. Ha.

I love a vintage jersey😀 but try and keep it period(ish) correct, wool for the eroica bikes and then a load of brilliantly terrible late 80s early 90s designs. In a few case I'm lucky enough to have the matching bike so have gone as full kit as possible (Z, Tonton Tapis, Castorama, Carrera, Le Groupement) Never world champ though and my wool 1970s French team jrrsey attracts some comment, but then I'm riding in Belgium.

Bearded hipster twat!

Oh, shit! Wait, thats me!

Bugger!

Top - about 12 years old, wind proof and good for about -6c

Jeans - Topman slim fit (ha!), cant look too iffy going to the mid ride pub stop.

Shoes - £1 at a car boot sale - never worn!

1639147333587.png

Back