wearing team jerseys- retro cool vrs all the gear no idea vrs just a bit naff

Justonemorebike

Dirt Disciple
I have seen some reproduction team jerseys from the 90's that standout a a really nice colorful designs. I like to go for bright colours when riding around on the road so driver's see me I don't go for the stealth black look as to me as a car driver also think its just plain dangerous.

What's the general on wearing old (vintage) team kit top designs? obviously going out in full current team gear when your not on the team is a bit.....
But wearing a vintage team jersey/bike manufacturer and standard black shorts always seems fine to me although I have never been that on trend.

How old is vintage these days I am thinking 15 -20 years given the speed everything moves.

Its interesting how in other sports its quite common to where your favorite teams kit but in cycling it gets ridiculed sometimes.

Full disclosure (I will just wear what I like the design of I am too middle aged to worry too much about what people think) but nice to know.

I still ride around in my '94 Banesto jersey. I bought it because it was a decent one, still like it. I also have a spoof Molteni one for Pukka Pies.
The La Vie Claire and Z designs are timeless. Not sure on many of the other designs (Mercatone Uno, Kelme, Mapei etc) which just look naff.

Just don't wear Sky / Ineos head to toe.

I feel when it comes down to it, its a wear what you dare situation. I'm one of those people who is not comfortable wearing team cycling kit, but I'll wear my soccer or hockey team's jerseys to games to show my support. I think for me a lot of it is that I'm not particularly fit and look kinda silly in a cycling jersey. Soccer, football and hockey jerseys aren't form fitting so a fan with a Dad bod doesn't look ridiculous in one. I'm a bit more forgiving when it comes to vintage wool jerseys because they fit differently and the teams are now defunct so I wouldn't feel as silly wearing them. I still haven't dropped any big $ on a vintage one because I'd want it to match my bike and I don't have any team style bikes.

Not on road but i wear my mtb team jerseys, because i like them but mostly because of their function.

As a male I wear a vintage 1990 pink Giro jersey for road riding. The Italians and Japanese don’t think pink is a feminine color. For track 12 hour TT I use a new copy of the vintage light weight wool short sleeve classic that’s made in Italy. It won’t get dirty on the track. It’s comfortable when it’s 25 C and also keeps you warm after the sun sets. It’s plenty warm enough for me riding at 10C. It’s not aero but at 76 who cares, I’m not setting records and I’m usually the only 70 year old. My concern for distance is comfort. In May of 2014 my wife and I flew to the UK and rented bicycles, pannier, helmet, light, lock and repair kit. This was for our 40th wedding anniversary, and we really had fun. Our kit was base layers we use for hiking, gortex, walking sneakers, nylon wind shell and wind pants that zipped off to make shorts. The bike rental place was appalled that we weren’t dressed like cyclists. “Where is your cycling get up, do you cycle? How much?”. They kept asking if we knew how to bike. They probably took bets that we wouldn’t make it.

Last edited:
i did the whole team kit thing years ago, see pic

teamkitwanker.jpg

these days i'm much more casual, i mostly ride off road or a gravel bike, which means my kit is much more muted, my most common kit that i use now is from Ion sports, love their baggy shorts and their riding T shirts which can be worn as a normal T shirt.

but i have rules for general road kit, team kit i would never wear now, but i don't mind if people do, i see it as a fan thing, like football shirts etc

but i have rules that mean i immediately hate you if you wear:-
world champs jersey
national champs jersey
yellow/green/polkadot jersey
pink jersey etc

it's just wrong! the guys that train to be good enough to win those jerseys deserve to be the only people that wear them, my view is you don't get a replica of mike tysons belt and wear it in your local boxing class!

that said i like to see stuff match if you are gonna wear say a kona top you should be riding a kona, i hate the mixed kit thing, it's just a bit wrong! i know that makes me sad! and i know it shouldn't matter! to me it's like that guy that has a ferrari key ring but drives a ford!

but at the end of the day do what you want, but i'll cringe if i see you in that world champs top!

Last edited:
i did the whole team kit thing years ago, see pic

View attachment 588015

these days i'm much more casual, i mostly ride off road or a gravel bike, which means my kit is much more muted, my most common kit that i use now is from Ion sports, love their baggy shorts and their riding T shirts which can be worn as a normal T shirt.

but i have rules for general road kit, team kit i would never wear now, but i don't mind if people do, i see it as a fan thing, like football shirts etc

but i have rules that mean i immediately hate you if you wear:-
world champs jersey
national champs jersey
yellow/green/polkadot jersey
pink jersey etc

it's just wrong! the guys that train to be good enough to win those jerseys deserve to be the only people that wear them, my view is you don't get a replica of mike tysons belt and wear it in your local boxing class!

that said i like to see stuff match if you are gonna wear say a kona top you should be riding a kona, i hate the mixed kit thing, it's just a bit wrong! i know that makes me sad! and i know it shouldn't matter! to me it's like that guy that has a ferrari key ring but drives a ford!

but at the end of the day do what you want, but i'll cringe if i see you in that world champs top!

I agree with the above, leader & champ jerseys are best left to the real racers.
For the road I’ve got a selection of whisky and Yorkshire branded tops, whereas off road I’ve got 90’s Claud Butler & Pace kit. Although the Butler stuff occasionally inspires passers by to shout “get that bus out Butler” 🤦‍♂️
29367F37-3D67-4EB5-AC11-F8148C903CC7.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a personal thing as they say: I usually prefer to co-ordinate with the bike (or at least not clash with it) and like to keep it bright for visibility by drivers. Banesto for the white Pinarello, T_Mobile for the pink and blue Tecno, Holdsworth with the Orange Joe Waugh etc. and then there are the jerseys that remind me of good times on the Trek (Discovery Channel) or obscure European jerseys that mean it's unlikely you are wearing the same as me! Roll on Spring.

Back