Wanted, MTB Frame for Tourer Build. (newbie)

hamster":2549ar62 said:
Not much there not to like...to be really picky two rack bosses at the top of the seatstays would be nice...but P clips will do fine. Nice classic steel frame, you will have loads of fun! :cool:

If you build the bike up yourself you will understand everything about it and therefore be able to fix any problems you encounter on the road when touring.
Merlin Cycles are doing complete Deore drivetrains for £150 or so at present - they are a doddle to build up and you would be pushed to buy retro bits complete for £100.

Add some secondhand bars, v brakes and saddle to choice. I can help with a secondhand rack for postage if you need it.

The only problem with u brakes is as the pads wear out, they move towards the tyre. If you don't keep an eye on them, they wreck your tyre.

Thanks Chris, I haven't heard back about the montage yet.
V Brakes seem the way especially for touring it seems ?

It doesn't matter which brakes you get. They all work brilliantly. You have to have a u brake on the Raleigh though, because the mounting bosses are slightly different on the frame.

Gotcha, purchased it today so looking forward to working on it. A lot to learn, I also got the Orbit as well, call me crazy but they both seemed suitable and I can't quibble about the prices.

So I basically nose dived in against peoples advise to take my time, all I can say is, it felt wrong not having the Orbit.

I think you mentioned it had some good points, so time will tell.

I doubt you've heard the last of me now.

I'm not quite sure what the situation is regarding my topic, thread ? as I'm pretty new to forums, if you don't mind perhaps you could point me in the right direction as I don't want to be wasting members time getting offered bikes etc, although I shall obviously be very grateful for any advice during the build.

Thanks again for all of your input from day one.

Regards

Jason

Re:

Welcome to the fold fella... just show us how you get on in readers mtbs.

RBG

Back